[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 19-22

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, 17700 via UK, Aug 20 at 1348 tune in, fair
signal but music CD was skipping at the rate of almost 4 times per second. 1349
switch to talk about Taleban, no skipping; 1352, vocal music with drumming,
also OK; still audible during the following hour (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ALGERIA [non]. Looking one more time for CHAD [q.v.] around 7260, Aug 21 at
0550 I did hear a rather distorted signal in Arabic, but not so distorted it
would have been unintelligible, and it was right on 7260, without the
accompanying garbage Chad presented. This must have been the RTA relay via UK
as scheduled, 0558 giving a string of `kilohertz` over singing, so apparently
announcing entire transmission schedule, and off at 0559* (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ASIA [non]. Khmer-language broadcast on 11870, Aug 21 at 1326 was severely
degraded by wavering het from Pastor Scott via Costa Rica, on her perpetually
unstable transmitter. Audio from each took turns dominating. 1327 mentioning
lotsa kHz in apparently full transmission schedule of R. Free Asia, as
scheduled via Tinian, also giving website and P O Box address, 1330* After RFA
went off, there was still a lite wavering het with TIRWR as it was beating with
some weaker signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. While checking out Chad on 6165, had much stronger signal on 6160
with CBC News at 0602 Aug 21; CKZN or CKZU? At 0604 into weather for the Lower
Mainland. While there could be other areas which would qualify for that name,
this is a dead giveaway for the Vancouver area. Seems ``LM`` is the preferred
term, rather than Metro Vancouver, etc. But just how far up the BC coast does
the Lower Mainland reach before it becomes the Upper Mainland? (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHAD. Looking for RNT believed to be back to normal on its nominal 6165, no
chance before 0600 with RN Bonaire there, but Aug 21 at 0602 could hear a weak
signal with music on 6165; nearby T-storm QRN. Maybe identifiable on a better
occasion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Firedrake, very good on 9930, Aug 20 at 1404. No trace of KWHR with
Sound of Hope underneath even during the ever-so-brief pauses in music (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. As I tuned past RHC, 9550, Aug 20 at 1402 I was pleased to hear this
very frequency mentioned correctly, but my pleasure was quickly dashed as the
very next frequency mentioned, 9600, was off the air as it always is after
1300. Why in the world can`t they get their act together for something so
simple(?) as conveying the correct frequency list at any given time? (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. R. Martí and dentroCuban jamming observations on 25m: Aug 20
at 1358 RM in clear on 11845, no jamming audible, and on 11930 no RM just yet
but jamming audible. At 1400 recheck, RM audio was on both frequencies and so
was jamming, at about equal levels (Glenn Hauer, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KTBN was missing from 7505, Aug 19 at 0542 check, but back on at 1430
recheck and also following evening (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WHRI, 7335, was on, very strong in Spanish preaching, Sunday Aug 19
around 0810; CHU inaudible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. An unmodulated carrier on 1181.0 kHz has been present since UT
August 17, first reported by Michael Richard in Wyoming. Since then it has been
heard all over North America, and DFed from a number of locations, most of
which point to some part of Cuba. I first monitored it UT August 19 and every
night since through August 22. My own DF is at about 125 degrees, which goes
thru Santiago de Cuba. It may just be an existing transmitter which has shifted
up 1 kHz in order to annoy those attempting to listen to Radio Martí. A long
thread about this including my own complete observations, appears in DXLD
7-100, starting about 1/3 into the file at http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld7100.txt
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/