[HCDX] unID FE on 11895v

UNIDENTIFIED. Aug 17 at 1305 I came upon an extremely distorted signal centered
on 11900, a woman speaking slowly, sounded like Chinese, but not sure if
standard, or even some SE Asian language. This was one of those typically
extremely maladjusted transmitters, putting out FM instead of AM, and making
noises even during pauses in modulation. Covered almost 10 kHz and slope-tuning
to the side helped a little in intelligibility. First thing I did was to look
for // on another receiver, but did not find any on 11-12, 13 or even 9 MHz
bands, and that includes CNR and CRI. Despite extremely unpleasant listening, I
stayed with it, for the cause, hoping for something identifiable. 1315 a bit of
music and into M&W dialog. Briefly there was enough spread to be audible on
WYFR when tuned to 11910.

Then I noticed the frequency was varying. At 1325 it was centered on 11895.
There was no break at hourbottom. At 1335 down to 11890, but at 1338 back up to
11895, where it stayed more or less. 1341 some waily singing, reminding us of
C&W/blues, but 1343 back to talk, 1344 some more music, 1346 sounded like a
children`s chorus. 1351 a few notes which might have been an IS,
unrecognizable. Briefly the sound reminded us of the defunct Hmong Lao Radio.
1355 a mix of music, not now or ever recognizably Christian-hymnic. Off
abruptly at 1358:30.

Then on goes the computer to research the possibilities. This is difficult
because we do not know what frequency it was supposed to be on. As often the
case with such situations, it may well be none of 11890-11895-11900 but much
further away. So instead we look for transmissions in Chinese or SE Asian
languages between 1300 and 1400. It may well be one of these, from EiBi, with
Aoki and HFCC also checked:

12-14   CRI  Vietnamese 11990 Kunming // at 13-14 9685 Xian
13-1357 VOK  Chinese 11735
13-14   KFBS Vietnamese 9920
13-14   VOR  Mandarin 12065 Chita
13-14   RTI  Hakka 11915 // 15155
13-14   YFR  English 11895 Irkutsk in case language has changed
11-14   YFR  Chinese 12150 Almaty but into English 1400, // 9865 P-K

Of these, I think my first choice/guess would be RTI 11915. Signal was pretty
strong, and more likely FE coastal site than inland. What do others discover?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://farechase.yahoo.com/