[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 21-22

** BIAFRA [non]. V. of Biafra International via WHRI, 15665, Friday Sept 21 at
2041 tune in with speaker denouncing atrocities of Gowan, etc. Signal VG fading
deeply during which the long-path echo could be heard. 2053 played `God Bless
Africa`, 2055 sign-off ID still imagining it is on ``15.67 MHz``, some hilife
music and 2159 WHRI closing. Meanwhile, I was also hearing NIGERIA, q.v. It
seems VOBI has some vague plan to increase from weekly to daily broadcasts, so
should check this on non-Fridays too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CKZU, 6160, Vancouver coming in well at 34443, Sept 22 at 1259 with
ID as ``CBC Radio One in British Columbia``, plug local ``North by Northwest``
show following news, 1300 World Report (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. I just happened to be tuning past 11960 at 1314 UT Sept 21, and
heard yet another HCJB automated ID in Spanish STILL announcing both its
frequencies incorrectly. After a brief quotation from Plato (no Christian, he),
claimed to be on 11760 and 9745, and I had also just tuned by its weaker //
which is really 11690. Quite aside from its theology, HCJB`s credibility as a
SW broadcaster has reached rock-bottom (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. R. Cairo, English to Europe, 9990, Sept 21 at 2155, woman speaking
but only bits of what she was saying could be heard at modulation peaks, and
then extremely distorted; music mixed in came thru with fewer dropouts, but
overall, a total loss, as it has been for sesquidecades, perhaps Egypt`s
greatest embarrassment (well, after civil rights violations). Moot from *2159
WWCR 9985 opening with steel drums (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HONDURAS. During 90m bandscan Sept 22 around 0545, besides REE Costa Rica on
3350 there was a much weaker Spanish signal on 3340, presumably HRMI active
once again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. 4750, presumed RRI Makassar, with muezzin at the rather late hour
of 1338 UT Sept 21; not much else was left on 60m, not even Cuba 5025. High
local noise level.

4790, presumed RRI Fak2, Qur`an at 1304 Sept 22; unlike the morning before,
this signal outshone 4750 which also had Qur`an but not //. 4605 weak with
talk, and nothing audible on 4870 or 4920 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. VON, 15120, very strong signal, even much stronger here than VOBI
via WHRI 15665, as if in a radio war, Sept 21 at 2045 woman talking in English,
but awful muffled modulation, so on that basis alone the choice between them
was easy. Off at 2056* (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Very weak spur on 17919, and one matching on 17621, thus from KVOH
17775, Sept 21 at 2047. I could barely match the audio on modulation peaks.
This is about what I would expect as the fundamental was not at super-strong
level as it sometimes can be, bringing up the spur levels with it (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. Last spring, RUI announced plans to move the NAm transmitter from
7440 to 5830 on Sept 23, but this did not happen. We still heard it on 7440,
Sept 21 at 2315 check in Ukrainian, so presumably continuing until 0400
including the English hours at 0000 and 0300. This sked appears to be the
updated one: http://www.nrcu.gov.ua/index.php?id=162
showing some of the other planned changes did take place on Sept 20, not Sept
23, and some did not. English to Europe at 21 has moved to 5840, and 5830 is in
use at 0000 and 0300, or does that transmitter stay in Ukrainian overnight?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. RNV CI via Cuba, missing from 15290, at 1955 UT check Sept
21 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1670 kHz, Sept 21 at 1325, distorted talk and wavering het
against residual skywave signal from broadcast station. Suspect it`s the
talking house in Enid I recently reported mobile from local range, within a
dekameter of it.

BTW, I am still hearing the low het on 1600.0, at the same time, indicating an
off-frequency broadcast station, yet to be singled out. I would guess it is
around 100 Hz plus or minus, so none of the entries on
http://www.myradiobase.de/mediumwave/mwoffset.txt appear to fit, tho KCKK
Colorado doesn`t have a precise entry yet; propagationally (still audible here
at that hour, and reliably audible at night), it would be a good prospect
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658