Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's weekend edition for 22-23 Sept FEEDBACK ON THE E-MAIL DISTRIBUTION WILL BE APPRECIATED ....

Radio Havana Cuba
Dxers Unlimited
Dxers Unlimited’s weekend edition for 22-23 Sept 2007
By Arnie Coro
Radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados anywhere were you are ! Maybe participating
in a radio amateur DX expedition at a remote island , or perhaps
listening to my show with your kitchen radio as amigo Craig in Ottawa
often does… Or you may be soldering the last two or three connections to
your brand new regenerative receiver, that in a few seconds will start
picking up, hopefully, many short wave stations. You may be one of the
very few radio amateur operators that have ever called CQ from a space
ship… or one that has experienced the brute force of a hurricane when
trying to fix up an antenna in the middle of a storm… Radioaficionados
around the world enjoy this hobby in many different ways, and your
budget may be big or small, but as you all know well, radio is a very
enjoyable hobby , an excellent way of spending whatever little spare
time we may have…
Join me for the next sixteen minutes, at this edition of Dxers Unlimited
that will provide you just now with an update about solar cycle 23, the
one that has really defied all forecasts and keeps on moving along at
zero sunspot count for many days … Yes amigos, scientists will now have
to face the reality that solar minimum is still very much with us, and
that March and April of 2007 were not the two months of minimum solar
activity for the present cycle… Item three: imagine a receiver that is
powered from a single 1.5 volts battery… now , imagine still further
that this receiver uses very, but very little current… and despite those
two solid facts, the receiver is capable of picking up amateur radio
stations at least two or three thousand miles away. Add to that the fact
that the circuit is extremely simple, and that in the still experimental
prototype, just four rather common transistors are used… The cross
coupled regenerative detector circuit in a Wheatstone bridge balanced
configuration is the proper name for this circuit, that has already
stirred up a lot of building activity among the very enthusiastic
membership of the YAHOO Regenerative Receivers list…
The circuit of this receiver is still under development , but results
achieved so far have proven to be really amazing…
Two transistors connected in a cross coupled Wheatstone bridge balanced
regenerative detector are provided with a well designed antenna input
filter and a very smooth acting regenerating control.
Of course that some precautions must be followed regarding the circuit
actual layout… For example the coil used in the tuned circuit must be
wound symetrically and the coupling coil from the input bandpass filter
must be placed exactly at the center of the two windings into which the
coil is split to give way for the input coupling.
If you really are looking for optimum results from this circuit then my
advice is that you spending some time matching the two silicon
transistors used bo build the detector is a worthwhile effort.
Transistors can be matched for direct current gain quite easily ,
because you don’t need to know the actual current gain of the devices,
because what we are looking for are two transistors that have almost
identical gain.
As regards to the audio amplifier section, it can be built with just two
transistors, or you can add a third stage to further boost the audio
output… So you end up with a receiver that has a two transistors
regenerative detector and a two or three transistors audio amplifier
that feeds a pair of low impedance headphones.
This type of receiver is a lot easier to assemble by a beginner than
even the simplest of direct conversion or
Superheterodyne receivers…The parts count is pretty low, so assembling
this little radio won’t cause financial problems to your pocketbook !!!
  Stay tuned for more radio hobby related items coming up in just a few
seconds when Dxers Unlimited’s weekend edition continues…

………
Si amigos , yes my friends, oui mes amis , you are listening to Radio
Havana Cuba , and here is our solar update, that for the first time in
many, many years shows that during fifteen consecutive days optical
observations done by the world’s most important observatories have
registered absolutely no sunspots… In other words, for the past two
weeks the sunspot count was ZERO, and it is expected to remain at that
level for a few more days. Together with the zero sunspot count , we are
receiving information about microwave radiation from the Sun, that is at
the minimum possible level ever registered at the 10.7 centimeters
wavelength… With zero sunspots and solar flux between 65 and 70 units,
the daily maximum useable frequency curve moves up very slowly after
local sunset, and it never reaches frequencies above 25 megaHertz, while
at the same time the highest possible frequencies that do propagate for
a few hours every day, rarely if ever move above 18 or 19 megaHertz… As
a good friend of mine that has lived through solar cycles 19, 20, 21, 22
and now 23, has told me this week, this extremely low number of sunspots
is an unprecedented event… “ Arnie, - he said – ever since I started to
listen to short wave stations when I was a teenager way back in 1956,
never before HF propagation conditions have been so poor “, and yes
amigos, I fully agree with my friend, as yours truly also started to
listen to the short wave bands during the mid nineteen fifties …
Now here is our technical topics section, that is becoming more and more
popular according to the e-mails sent to arnie@xxxxxxxxx Today this part
of the program will be devoted to the switched mode power supplies that
are becoming now so popular for both amateur radio transceivers and all
types of computers that require to be powered from the AC mains, or that
need the batteries to be recharged periodically.  The big problem with
switched mode power supplies is that they can be designed and assembled
according to very different criteria, that cause them to be very useful
in some instances and terrible for radio applications in others.
Switched mode power supplies when properly designed and built provide
excellent voltage regulation, and they also have built in protection
against high voltages and current overloads… They weight a lot less than
the typical linear transformer powered units, and that’s one of the main
reasons of their widespread use. But, be aware when buying or building a
switched mode power supply… You can end up with a useless power supply
because the unit may generate such high level of radio frequency noise
as to make your reception impossible on some bands, and very difficult
in others… The most recent switched mode power supply designs ,
especially aimed at using them for radio applications, provide extensive
shielding and radio frequency filtering… that can be so good as to be
practically impossible to detect the presence of noise from the
extremely low frequencies all the way up to the high VHF band that is
considered to be the top frequency range where the switched mode
supplies can still generate annoying noise that will interfere with
radio reception.
A well designed and built switched mode power supply will be more
expensive, will be enclosed inside a steel box, and will have radio
frequency filtering at the power line input and also at the direct
current output . By using higher quality components and higher switching
frequencies, interference caused by these power supplies can be
minimized, making them a very attractive option for radio amateurs
traveling with their transceivers…and the same criteria are true for
laptop and notebook computers that nowadays are considered to be
essential for the operation of any DX expedition…
……
Yes, we do QSL, we do verify reception reports sent to arnie@xxxxxx, or
VIA AIR MAIL to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba, Havana, Cuba , and now
here is our antenna topics section here at the weekend edition of Dxers
Unlimited…The two meters amateur band is by far the most popular one
worldwide, and this is due to the existence of relatively low cost,
compact and energy efficient portable and mobile FM transceivers… In
many instances, commercial equipment can be adapted for amateur radio
use, making possible to buy a very nice FM multi-channels transceiver at
very low cost. But, those radios either come with a very simple
helically wound short antenna for the handie-talkies, or with no antenna
at all in the case of mobile or desktop transceivers. That’s why
amateurs can save a lot of money and learn also a lot about antennas by
homebrewing them for the 2 meters FM band. You can make a much more
efficient antenna for your handheld FM transceiver using readily
available materials, and some of the more popular directional antenna
systems for base stations are also easy to build and to adjust. There
are even some antenna designs that , if built to exact specifications
won’t need any additional adjustment, that’s the case of a two element
YAGI system than , as I have just said , if built exactly as explained
by its designer, will produce a very clean radiation pattern and the
impedance at the feedpoint will be very near 50 ohms, so there is no
need for any matching systems that require adjustments with the use of a
VHF standing wave ratio meter. The other antenna that shows a feedpoint
impedance very near 50 ohms if built following the design formula is the
so called MOXON Rectangle, a compact two element parasitic array, that
is becoming a favorite among not only two meter band users, but also as
an excellent beam antenna for other bands… You can calculate the MOXON
antenna dimensions with a very easy to use computer program that allows
you to design it with whatever materials are available locally… Si
amigos, sure my friends, the two meters ham band is the world’s most
popular one, and you can enjoy it much more by adding external high gain
antennas to handheld, mobile or fixed stations.
And now just before going QRT,  to underscore, solar activity at rock
bottom levels for the past two weeks , with zero sunspot count and solar
flux all the time below 70 units, something that scientists expect to
continue for at least one more week, when maybe, and I repeat, maybe a
new sunspot active region may signal an end to this extremely long
period of no activity… VHF low band propagation will improve for areas
where transequatorial signals are usually heard at this time in the
Northern Hemisphere… Hope to have you listening to our midweek edition
next Tuesday and Wednesday UTC … and don’t forget to send your signal
reports and comments about this program to arnie@xxxxxx or VIA AIR MAIL
to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba, Havana, Cuba