Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition Sept 18 -19 2007

Dxers Unlimited
Dxers Unlimited's weekend edition for Sept 18-19 2007
By Arnie Coro
radio amateur CO2KK

Hi mis amigos radioaficionados around the world and in space !!! This is
the midweek edition of your favorite , listener oriented and technically
minded radio hobby program, coming to you via shortwave and also via
streaming audio on the World Wide Web from http://rhc.cu our new fast
track world wide web address, I am Arnie Coro, radio amateur CO2KK, your
friend in sunny, beautiful Havana, where we have enjoyed excellent
tropospheric ducting propagation on the VHF, UHF and Microwave bands...
Way out there, 93 million miles away, our nearest STAR, amigo SOL, is
now taking a break, and the actual sunspot count has gone down ZERO for
many, many days one after the other...No active sunspot regions in
sightand I expect a very low sunspot count and a diminishing solar
microwave energy flux to continue during the next seven to ten days...
More about HF, VHF, UHF and Microwave propagation later, at the end of
the program... Item two: Listeners letters provide instant feedback
about the show's content, new ideas, and very interesting radio hobby
related questions that keep yours truly really busy the whole week, and
be aware that Dxers Unlimited, Breakthrough the science show,  and our
Spanish language daily science technology and the enviroment at Radio
Havana Cuba are not my only duties... I do spend a lot of time every
week teaching, and that amigos, is a very rewarding activity, as you do
learn a lot while preparing your lessons !!! Listeners from all around
the world write to Radio Havana Cuba's Dxers Unlimited and recently I
decided to make a poll of the show's most listened sections... As
expected ASK ARNIE was once again LA NUMERO UNO... the most popular
section of Dxers Unlimited , closely followed by our exclusive and not
copyrighted HF PLUS propagation update and forecasts that according to
the e-mail messages, postcards and letters, really helps you all to
catch nice DX sometimes, to optimize your band plans for a contest, or
to simply stay away from the radio and homebrew some more equipment when
propagation conditions take a turn for the worst !!! Item three: ASK
ARNIE, today will be answering two questions, then it will be followed
by TIPS and TECHNNIQUES, a  Dxers Unlimited's section that is winning
listeners at a fast pace, and as always at the end of the program the
propagation information that today will be of a more general nature, and
for those of you that have asked, YES, I do have to work ALL SATURDAYS
amigos,so that the weekend edition will feature the most up to date HF
propagation forecast... !!! Stay tuned for more radio hobby related
information, coming to you , with love, from Havana...
I'll be back in a few seconds , after a short musical intercut
The name of the station is Radio Havana Cuba, we are on the air since
1961, providing to our listeners the best possible programs about Cuba
and the world amigos... Here is now ASK ARNIE for today... The first
radio hobby related question came from a country where Dxers Unlimited
has a massive audience, according to the e-mail messages, postacards and
letters that I receive here every week... Yes , its Canada, where the
short wave listening hobby seems to have many followers... The question
was sent by Dxers Unlimited's listener Mark, from Toronto... He ASKS
ARNIE... what is a TUNIPOLE antenna ... because he recently visited an
AM broadcast station, where the chief engineer told him that they had
recently changed their antenna system to a TUNIPOLE... Mark then adds
that he sees exactly the same tower that has been there for years...
Well amigo Mark, sure, the tower is the same, but the antenna system was
changed by the station's engineers to a very different configuration.
The TUNIPOLE is a commercial name for what is known in radio engineering
as a GROUNDED FOLDED MONOPOLE antenna... And the main reason the station
you visited changed their antenna configuration is that they almost
surely had to upgrade to a new solid state transmitter. The TUNIPOLE or
more properly speaking GROUNDED FOLDED MONOPOLE ANTENNA, provides
additional protection against lightnning that is badly needed by today's
third generation solid state transmitters... The traditional vacuum tube
power amplifier transmitters were much more tolerant to voltage spikes
generated by lightnning than their solid state equivalents of today... I
have seen a very nice second generation pulse duration modulation AM
broadcast transmitter go off the air with all its power modules dying
instantly after a the series fed antenna took a direct hit from
lightnning... YES, sure, solid state transmitters are the way to go, no
doubt, they save a lot of energy and replacement parts are available at
very low prices, but so far no one has found how to really protect them
from lightnning when they are connected to an insulated tower... So
amigo Mark, that's part one of my answer, now part two... the AM
broadcast station you visited will also benefit from converting their
series fed insulated base antenna to a GROUNDED FOLDED MONOPOLE ,
because from now on they can rent tower space to other users of the
radio frequency spectrum, a source of extra income to the station that
will help AM broadcasters to balance their budgets. It's no secret that
in many countries AM broadcasting stations are loosing audience to FM
stations, so by renting their grounded towers to cellphone operators,
for example, they can keep themselves on the air !!! A typical 100
meters high AM station tower makes an excellent support for cellphone
and other commercial communications systems that can then save money by
renting space on an existing site, rather than having to make a
completely new installation from scratch... Amigo Mark, radio is a very
complicated business, and tower space renting is becoming more and more
important at a worldwide scale, by the way, many high tower operators
graciously provide tower space for amateur radio repeaters in what could
best be described as a very good public relations act. Now question
number two.. it came from South Africa, where we are building up an
audience according to the correspondence department here... Listener
Mumbele from Cape Town, tells me that he is picking up ou 6000 kiloHertz
broadcast for just a few minutes every day, on what seems to be a very
short band opening... Mumbele wants to know if this has something to do
with what is known as GRAY LINE or TERMINATOR LINE propagation... Well
amigo Mumbele, I will have to take a look at the time of the day here in
Havana, and the time of the day in Cape Town that this is happening...
GRAY LINE or TERMINATOR LINE propagation happens when two points of the
Earth are touched roughly at the same time by the line that separates
day and night... and YES, it does enhance propagation a lot... As a
matter of fact, many radio amateurs used terminator line propagation in
a routine fashion to work DX... By the way amigo Mumbele, you may want
to give a try to our streaming audio from 05 to 07 UTC provided at
http://rhc.cu..
This is the midweeke edition of Dxers Unlimited, coming to you from
Radio Havana Cuba, and let me reiterate that solar activity is at very ,
very low levels, and that is having a very negative impact on short wave
propagation conditions ... I think that according to the present state
of solar activity the probability of a large solar flare happening is
very , very low... Now here is our TIPS AND TECHNNIQUES section of the
show, one that is becoming really popular with all of you according to
the most recently received correspondence amigos... Several listeners
wrote telling me about their success with the homebrew microphones, and
that they were really pleased with the audio quality obtained from
them... Gary from Indiana , USA, says in his e-mail that he is now
collecting broken cellphones in order to be able to make several more of
the homebrew microphones for three of his other transceivers... He
tested a microphone element from a NOKIA cellphone that was damaged when
it was actually crushed by the tires of a car, that by miracle left the
microphone undamaged... Gary tells me that his two meters mobile FM
transceiver sounds much better now, and that what he actually did was to
remove the microphone capsule from his rig's mike and replace it with
the NOKIA cellphone microphone element, leaving everything else
untouched ... Si amigos, yes my friends, out mes amis, as you all know,
radio is hobby that can be enjoyed on a shoestring budget and that also
helps to keep the environment clean by recycling !!! Second part of TIPS
and TECHNNIQUES... when a radio receiver has not operated for a long
time... don't just plug it in to the AC power line... Bring it back to
life slowly , by using one of the two following techniques... Connect
the radio that was in long storage to a variable voltage transformer,
also known as a VARIAC, and set the transformer for 25 volts AC
output... keep the radio operating at that voltage for about 24 hours,
then go to 50 volts, and keep it there for 12 hours, step three is
taking the operating voltage to 75 volts AC and keeping it there for 6
hours... Then you run the radio from 100 volts and see what happens...
It is likely that it will make a nice comeback into useful life if there
are no damaged components... You can benefit by monitoring the AC power
line current that the radio is taking by means of a digital multimeter
set for AC current measurement... This step by step method has proven to
be very effective for me, and has helped to detect bad electrolytic
capacitors before they really go up in smoke... By the way, if you are
doing this procedure to an old vacuum tube radio, it is a very good idea
to do a total , comprehensive visual inspection of the receiver , clean
the dust and accumulated debris, and then proceed to  replace ALL THE
ELECTROLYTIC and PAPER BYPASS CAPACITORS, before plugging in the radio
to the AC power line !!!
More recently built solid state receivers of the so called first
generation, dating back to some 35 to 40 years ago will usually come
back to useful life too, but replacing the electrolytic capacitors will
not be as easy as with the older vacuum tube receivers because of the
use of a very compact layout of the printed circuit boards...
TIP NUMBER THREE for today... If you want to use a loudspeaker instead
of headphones for listening to CW Morse Code signals, use a small
speaker, one between two and three inches will be ideal, and then follow
Arnie Coro's advice and paint the paper loudspeaker cone with nailpolish
to raise its low frequency resonance.. The modified small louspeaker
will operate as a mechanical audio filter or sorts that has proven to be
very effective and of course will cost you practically nothing.. There
is yet another nice way of optimizing a small louspeaker for CW Morse
Code reception , that I will leave it for an upcoming program... in the
meantime try this one and tell me how it worked for you... send mail to
arnie@xxxxxx, or send me an AIR MAIL postcard to Arnie Coro, Radio
Havana Cuba, Havana, Cuba...
Si amigos, Dxers Unlimited comes to you twice weekly, on Tuesdays and
Wednesdays UTC day we have the mid week edition and on Saturdays and
Sundays UTC days we provide you with our weekend edition... They are two
completely different shows, especially written usually on the same day
they go on the air for the first time... Now as always at the end of the
show  here is our HF plus VHF, UHF and Microwaves propagation update and
forecast... Solar activity is VERY LOW, and very probably it will
continue at extremely low levels for the next seven to 10 days...
Sunspot numbers of ZERO or near ZERO are expected during this period,
and the microwave solar flux should bottom at figures around 65 to 70
units for the rest of this solar rotation. . Hope to have you joining me
for the weekend edition of Dxers Unlimited next Saturday and Sunday, and
please don't forget that your e-mail messages, postcards and letters do
help to make this radio hobby program better for YOU AMIGOS !!! Send
them to arnie@xxxxxx or VIA AIR MAIL TO:  Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba,
Havana, Cuba