[HCDX] Surfin': When "Radio" Was a Verb

Surfin': When "Radio" Was a Verb
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2007/10/26/1/
By Stan Horzepa, WA1LOU
Contributing Editor
October 26, 2007

This week, the wayback machine is idling and ready to take you back to
the days when radio was king.
screenshot
You can hear one of the oldest, if not the oldest, recorded radio
transmission at Tinfoil.com, a Web site dedicated to preserving early
recorded sounds.

Last week?s Surfin? sparked a lot of interest in old time ham radio and
some readers wrote in to suggest other Web sites to check out in that
regard.

Scott McMullen, W5ESE, penned the following missive, ?You might
enjoy this recording from an Edison cylinder that is possibly the oldest
extant recording of a radio transmission. It's estimated (from the
content) that it was made in 1910.?

The recording is the June 2004 Cylinder of the Month at Tinfoil.com,
which is dedicated the preservation of early recorded sounds.

Al Wiemann, W3CE, wondered if I had seen the four minute ?W2ICE
and Spark Transmitters? video on YouTube. I had not, and am happy to
report that it is worth the watch and it includes a demo of a spark
transmitter; W2ICE is the call sign of the Electronic Communication
Museum Amateur Radio Club of Canandaigua, New York.

Stay tuned to YouTube because Bill Howell, N5ALO, clued me into
another gem -- a 10 minute short released in 1939 titled ?Radio Hams.?
This is a nostalgic look at Amateur Radio long before ?the War,?
television, home computers, video games, cell phones and moi. Check
out Clayton Moore, television?s Lone Ranger, in an uncredited role as
the ship?s radio operator. By the way, my editor thinks that the family in
this film should stop calling Jimmy for dinner and let the poor kid work
some DX.

Until next time, keep on surfin?. Editor?s note: Stan Horzepa, WA1LOU,
once owned a car that had a spark transmitter under the hood. To
communicate with Stan, send him e-mail or add comments to his blog.
By the way, every installment of Surfin? is indexed here, so go look it up.

http://zlgr.multiply.com (raidio monitoring site plus audio clips )
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
.
on my main : www.geocities.com/zliangas
-tty-px.html : test of various TTY programs
-ethics.htm    : greek ethics , days and institutions
-frape.htm: the greek way of cofee !!!
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop