[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 31

We had an unexpected local power outage for over two hours the morning of Oct
31, so instead of sleeping in, I couldn`t pass up the opportunity to monitor on
battery power without all the line noise we have been subject to. Most, but not
all of it was gone, resulting in a much lower noise floor. Unfortunately, it
was too late for much axion on the trop bands, but a number of 60m signals
could be detected around 1330 before fadeout, such as 4605, 4750, 4790, 4870,
4900, 4920. Also something in Spanish on 4820, which turned out to be 2-way
SSB, Mexican? riding along on an unID carrier.

** ANGUILLA. DGS was still audible on 6090 as late as 1335 UT Oct 31, tnx to
lowered local noise level during power failure, and even more tnx to the
scheduled switch to 11775 at 1000 being long overdue. Yes, nothing on 11775
then or as late as I checked, 1507, facilitating reception of NIGERIA, q.v.
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA. 17610 at 1454 Oct 31, repetitious singing with primitive string
instrument, brief talk in unID language, some more music, cut off abruptly at
1458:30. This must be AWR in Afar daily via Moosbrunn as scheduled from 1430. I
wonder how many Afars aspire to be Adventists? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. RHC normally has a huge signal on 13680, must be aimed
uswards, but Oct 31 at 1412 it was not enough for Fidel to overcome the ACI
from CRI via Sackville 13675. Commies vs Commies! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. VOG keeps its options open with both 15630 and 15650 available much
of the day, but currently is on 15650 until 1550, then switching beams and
frequency to 15630 from 1600. Oct 31 at 1407, Greek vocal music on 15650
instead of 15630 as in A-07 season, easily IDed by // 9420 (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. TDF DRM, 17870-17875-17880, Oct 31 at 1452, but it was not
there during an earlier bandscan at 1402. Maybe it has kept running, but on a
shortened schedule I hadn`t noticed. Per DRMDX sked, it is supposed to be 13-20
daily, and I think I have also found it absent in the 19 UT hour, and we know
it is intentionally only M-F.

DRM DX also shows azimuth as 363 degrees, which seems unlikely. Or does that
mean a rotatable antenna was past maximum clockwise position? Some rotors for
ham or TV antennas have a range exceeding 360 degrees, which is certainly
convenient (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA [and non]. AIR GOS, 9690, has an interference problem here, and surely
also in the SEAs target zone. Oct 31 at 1418, AIR in English with ID, slightly
atop hymns. KTWR Guam is scheduled in Korean after 1400 also on 9690 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU reactivated after a few weeks, and with better signal than
ever, Oct 31 at 0642 as I scanned the 31m band. Steady S9+20, during discussion
of NY and DF music and arts scenes; good modulation and no het, tho still
off-frequency around 9599.3. Rechecked during power outage at 1341 and also VG,
with relay of R. France Internacional during news hour. I keep hitting them
when they are not playing classical music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. A reminder to North Americans who find RN`s morning
broadcast too early at 1200-1257: we can get fairly good reception of the Asian
service at 1400-1557 via Madagascar, now on its B-season frequency 12080, as
checked Oct 31 at 1509. // 15595 not checked.

The Talata station is the most distant major SW broadcaster from here, our
antipodes being further out in the Indian Ocean. The actual antipodes of Talata
is roughly halfway between Revillagigedo and BI Hawaii, so anyone sailing out
there should have great reception from Madagascar, all beams converging (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. 11770, Oct 31 at 1507, talking drums, then YL in Swahili with an
accent; good modulation and helped by absence of Anguilla 11775. V. of Nigeria
as scheduled in Swahili at 1500-1530, per Thorsten Hallmann`s Africalist
http://www.muenster.org/uwz/ms-alt/africalist/
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Looked for MW harmonix during power outage, but nothing heard
beyond the usual locals, including on 2780 KCRC 1390x2, and on 2880 KGWA 960x3,
but KCRC audio was also audible under KGWA on 2880, which doesn`t make sense.
Lo noise also uncovered 3280, KFXY 1640x2, which I don`t normally hear; it is
10x the power of the other two in daytime, but probably at least 10x the
distance to site (Glenn Hauser, Enid, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PORTUGAL. DRM on 13585-13590-13595 at 1410 Oct 31 mixing with CODAR.
Interesting to hear two unwanted noises clashing; I wonder how CODAR affects
DRM reception, or vice versa. DRM sked shows this is DW Sines aimed east (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA [and non]. The sparsely-occupied 16mb should be clear of
collisions, but we still have them: Oct 31 at 1402, VOA in English mixing with
a weaker station in Arabic. Yes, BSKSA Riyadh deliberately overlaps with VOA
Botswana for an hour at 1400-1500. Botswana aims north and Riyadh aims west, so
the real collision is in north Africa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. Looking again for Miraya FM, 9825, Oct 31 on battery power. At
1356, open carrier with flutter, VOA Tinang about to come on, so did not try
again until 1500 as it was signing off. Heard an NHK-style timesignal, then
very poor signal with some singing, but nothing left by 1504. If Miraya is such
a big signal in Europe you`d think a bit more of it would reach here. Unclear
when Miraya hours will be corrected from 1300-1600 to 1500-1800, but in any
event, 1500-1600 should catch them either way. Whatever the site, IRRS now has
it on their schedule as 1500-1800 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND [and non]. Checked R. Thailand`s English service on 9725 to As/Au,
Oct 31 at 1421. Quickly heard with ID, but only tnx to a long pause in the
discourse of DGS Costa Rica, with a much stronger signal. Fortunately, 9725 is
often down for days at a time; it had been off-frequency, hetting anything else
on 9725.0, but now it perfectly matched Udorn (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, IS at 1327 Oct 31, before English, found 12035 much stronger
than 11735. You never know which will be better from one day to the next (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. At least one of the WEWN transmitters puts out a constant squeal. (We
have discussed this before --- something to do with cards in the modulators
needing replacement), and it has been going on for years. Apparently WEWN
counts on highly-motivated listeners who will put up with it, or they just
don`t care. Currently at 1345 it`s 7540 with this problem, noted in Spanish Oct
31 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN [and non]. At 1328 Oct 31 on 11740, two stations mixing about
equally, Vatican the one in Italian, and WYFR the one in French. Catholix vs
Protestants! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 11490, lite pulse jamming vs nothing, possibly a Cuban spur, but
it was at a slower rate than the heritage jammer on 11845, so not from that
transmitter; Oct 31 at 1352. Gone when checked a few minutes later (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15054-15082, peaking around 15066, motorboating noise, 1405 UT
Oct 31. Perhaps a maladjusted Russian transmitter as Wolfgang Büschel
previously noted, but no intelligible modulation in the mix, and nothing to
match above 16 MHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com