[HCDX] India: AIR to launch news channel soon

AIR to launch news channel soon

All India Radio (AIR) is contemplating to launch a
dedicated news channel to meet challenges in view of
spurt in private television channels in the country.

?There is a good demand of news programmes in
different pockets of the country. From our audience
research, it has been found that running a
full-fledged news channel is viable,? Director General
of AIR (News) P. K Bandopadhaya told reporters on the
sidelines of a workshop here on Monday.

Though starting a dedicated news channel was a
continuing process, there was a hope that it could
materialise during 11th plan period, he said.

Mr. Bandopadhaya said the AIR was trying to improve
its manpower and in process of putting a fresh
recruitment policy in place. Prasar Bharti had stopped
recruitment in mid-1990s and as a result average of
AIR and Doordarshan was now above 40.

He said the AIR was on a drive to upgrade its
technology across the country. ?We are launching
Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) in our centres to improve
quality of sounds. We are upgrading transmitters too.
Similarly, the AIR also improving its news contents by
localizing its regional news programmes,? Mr.
Bandopadhaya said.

"Advent of private television channels has had adverse
impact on radio listeners? base.

Some radio audiences in urban areas have been
relocated. But the rural radio listeners? base
remained undisturbed,? the DG AIR (News) said.

The AIR had made an attempt to bring urban listeners
back.

?The news on phone programme has been a great success.
If you dial a number, you will get all news headlines
over phone.

The ?news on phone? facility has been extended to 11
centres and all 44 channels would be covered shortly,?
he said.
//////////////////
Jaisakthivel, Chennai, India
Source: http://www.hindu.com/2007/10/09/stories/2007100959300200.htm

For Contact: Jaisakthivel,59,Annai Sathya Nagar,
             Arumbakkam,Chennai-600106,India
Visit: www.dxersguide.blogspot.com
       www.sarvadesavaanoli.blogspot.com
Mobile: +91 98413 66086