[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs March 21-24

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh`s 7-minute-later timeshift in musical programming
seems to have stuck; still on March 24 the Solh Theme on 15265 Rampisham did
not start until 1458 so it would be cut off at 1500. What a pity. From
tomorrow, however, try 17700, which will run all the way until 1800, but less
likely to propagate well over here, I fear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** ALGERIA. Tnx to tips from Mike Cooper and Andy Sennitt, Media Network, I
checked out the revived R. Algiers International, which is not on SW, but with
a new webcast including English:

http://www.algerian-radio.dz/Radio-International/indexfr.asp
leads to this streaming audio link: mms://80.246.5.162/internationale

The stream came right up when I tried at 1816 UT March 20, just as Qur`an
recitation was starting. I kept listening and it was partly in French, but
interrupted by Arabic announcements between segments. 1846 news, 1849
international press review, 1851 a surprise English ID mentioning ``coverage of
events across the borders``; more French. 1900 5+1 time signal, opening English
with news from R. Algeria International; 1910 weather including for some
locations in South and North America, and their winds with a long I; 1912
national press review; announcement about this new service in Arabic, French,
English Spanish; 1917 Hilites of the day, events in Iraq; 1920 call to prayer
time in Algiers area; 1923 Economic Review, 1926 Sports Magazine, 1928 news
headlines, 1929 closing half-hour broadcast until same time tomorrow; by 1931
it was in Spanish with a strange accent. I suppose each languages is aired
several times a day, but when exactly for English? The linx at the top
including ``grille`` do not work. Overall I would give this service good marks
for objectivity (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Firedrake, VG with flutter, March 21 at 1348 on 10200 against Sound
of Hope; nothing on 9200 at this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR [and non]. March 24 at 1403 with K=3, conditions were pretty poor on
19m, but I couldn`t help but notice that HCJB DRM on 15195-15200-15205 sounded
an awful lot like the DentroCuban Jamming Command on 15330; same pitch, no
analog audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 23 March follow. Solar flux 73 and mid-latitude
A-index 10. The mid-latitude K-index at 1500 UTC on 24 March was 3 (38 nT).
Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms reaching
the G1 level occurred. No space weather storms are expected for the next 24
hours (SEC via DXLD)

** INDIA. AIR self-collision on 15050 was still going 24 hours later, March 21
at 1349 check; drum music on one, presumed Pashto talk on other; not as strong
as the day before. Jose Jacob confirmed it was still going March 21 and that it
was indeed Pashto interfering with Sinhala. He notified AIR and the next day is
was just Sinhala. Also March 23 at 1355 check I was just hearing one program,
music. I`m still wondering if two transmitters were involved or only one (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LAOS [non]. Hmong Lao Radio, 11785 via WHRI, was barely audible Saturday
March 24 at 1330, with the frequency occupied by VOA Thailand in Mandarin,
which means it is even more dominated by Chicom jammers. At closing 1359, HLR
was audible, but still with QRM on what had previously been a huge signal from
WHRI. The broadcast is just too early before the MUF builds up, since it had to
shift a UT hour earlier to compensate for DST in Hminnesota, but should get
better as summer approaches. You might think that this collision was due to The
Fortnight of Confusion, but according to HFCC it was already colliding at
1400-1500, and furthermore both will still be colliding in A-07 at 1300-1400.
Another instance of false assumption that US SW broadcasts from opposite sides
of the world will not interfere with each other and may safely share
frequencies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Still not much luck hearing XEYU which reportedly has been active
again lately. March 21 at 1342 could hear some Spanish talk on 9599.4 with het
from 9600, also splatter from RA 9590. March 24 at 1406 check I could just hear
the het it was causing, but now they have even more QRM: 2-way Spanish SSB,
quite possibly Mexican-related, on 9600; the usual very idiomatic and poorly
enunciated conversation, hardly comprehensible here, one station weaker than
the other (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. The OKC pirate on 107.1 is still active, audible a few
miles away as I was driving around OKC, March 23 at 0140 UT with Genesis
Communications Network programming, 0200 ID only for Radio Free Austin, USA
Network news. RFA also alludes to problems it has had with the nasty
government. Read all about it via http://www.radiofreeaustin.org/
where it seems FCC cease & desist notices in Feb coincided with a bit of
infighting between partisans of GCN and of RBN, and their various air
personalities. Really a circus going on there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SAIPAN. 11650, March 24 at 1359, Russian ID and frequencies for Radio Teos,
and off. Per HFCC this is really:

11650 1100 1400 30-33,42-44 FBS 100 323 1234567 291006 250307 Mul

According to WRTH, and EiBi, this quarter-hour is actually in Kyrgyz:
11650 1345-1400 Fr-Sa MRA KFBS Saipan KG CIS

Can it be that FEBC is still running announcements in the former colonial
language Russian on its broadcasts to FSU countries?

Radio Teos is St. Petersburg-based with website http://www.teos.org.ru/ or
http://www.teos.org.ru/engl/ but they are inaccessible or under construxion
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Bored stiff? Loosen up...