From: "Greg Drusdow" <drusdow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: SATURN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: "72 Hour Nuclear War" Broadcast [Sun Ra Content]
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:35:56 +0100

The Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) at 118 South 36th Street in
Philadelphia, PA (at the University of Pennsylvania) as part of their
"Locally Localized Gravity" Exhibit running through March 25, 2007 is
presenting events that feature the local Philadelphia scene expanded
exponentially.  One of the artist groups, Red76, based out of Portland,
Oregon, organized a special radio transmitter building workshop wherein
invited guests built fifteen 25 milliwatt to half watt radio transmitters
on March 21 that are being used to create a collection of low wattage
"pirate" radio stations.  The project culminates this weekend with an
event titled "72 Hour Nuclear War" where cover versions and the original
version of Sun Ra's "Nuclear War" composition are being broadcast
throughout the city of Philadelphia.  If you are in Philly, search around
107 FM and you might be able to hear the broadcast between regular
broadcast stations or floating in and out of broadcast stations near that
FM frequency.  For those unable to hear this on the radio, the program
(currently in a 90 minute loop) can be heard on the internet at:

www.live365.com/stations/red76colab

On Saturday, March 24, from noon to 5:00 p.m., musicians are invited to
come to the ICA in Philadelphia to record their own "Nuclear War" cover
that will be webstream broadcast live and included in a new looped
broadcast for the remainder of the "72 Hour Nuclear War" Broadcast, which
will conclude on Monday afternoon March 26.

The Red76 website (www.red76.com) has the following explanation of this
event:

"For some time we have been soliciting contributions of cover versions of
the Sun Ra Arkestra song Nuclear War; a 7" anti-nuke single released by
the Arkestra in the mid-1980s.  For the weekend of March 23rd, in homage
to the Yippies 1967 levitation of the Pentagon, we will arrange in
pentagle formation, a series of hand-built transmitters around the city of
Philadelphia.  For the entirety of the weekend we will broadcast the
accumulated cover versions that we have received, sending these
personalized missives against war mongering throughout the city for all to
listen to as a means of sonic exorcism.  As the songs regenerate
themselves through the ears, brains, and psyches of the individuals who
listen to them we will begin the process of casting out the demons of
governmental aggression summoned forth with such vigor over the last seven
years.  Trust us, it'll work."

There is a section of the "Locally Localized Gravity" exhibit on the first
floor of the ICA that explains the Red76 "72 Hour Nuclear War" Broadcast
project.

For additional information:

About The Institute of Contemporary Art:
Tel:  1-215-898-5911
www.icaphila.org
Museum Hours:
Saturday & Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admission:
Adults - $6, Artists, Seniors, and Students over 12 - $3
ICA members and PENN Card holders - free
Sunday, admission between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. is free
Exhibit closes Sunday, March 25 at 5:00 p.m.

About Red76:
www.red76.com/72hournuclearwar.html
Tel: 1-888-212-5652
Email: ask@xxxxxxxxx