[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs March 19-20

** COLOMBIA. R. Líder, 6139.8, may have missed a day, but it was back on March
19 at 0545 check with music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. Commies vs Catholix! March 19 at 1332 I was getting a quite
readable altho not very strong signal from RHC in Spanish on 11715, which is of
course a leapfrog mixing product between the very strong // signals on 11805
and 11760; on 11715 there was also a fast SAH and some audio I could recognize
as Ave María, so surely KJES as scheduled: another victim of dentroCuban
engineering.

BTW, RHC was promoting a Mesa Redonda that evening from 6:30 pm local, which is
2230 UT, on 6000, 6180. These roundtables appear on an irregular but frequent
basis, almost always to bash the U.S., and on these occasions, stations such as
R. Praga, 6000 via Canadá at 2330, better watch out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGESET)

** ECUADOR [and non]. HCJB`s DRM, 15195-15200-15205, which they insist on
running in heavily populated inband areas, was QRMing Arabic on 15195 March 19
at 1515, which HFCC says is V. of Turkey. See also MEXICO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW, 9755 via Rwanda toward WAf and CNAm, Monday March 19 at
0518 had a fascinating African Focus program about now Eritrea is a nation of
poets, interviewing a scholar from Penn State (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. 17870-17875-17880 got a respite from QRDRM over the weekend,
tho allegedly daily per
http://www.baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/drmdx/main&sort=kHz,UTC
and at 1300-2000. Nevertheless, Monday March 19 at 1408 it was still missing,
but on when I retunedby at 1432. Seems they turn it on whenever they get around
to it cavalierly, and feel no obligation to follow a published schedule. But,
the less, the better (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ITALY. Rai is still favoring North America with the squealing transmitter,
on 17780, in Italian, March 19 at 1408 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA. V. of Africa, 17725, March 19 at 1408 with hilife music; tho
modulation was low, signal was roughly equal to Gabon on 17660, 17630, as it
has been suggested VOA could also be transmitted from there, what with Libya`s
aid to Gabon`s transmitters. However, by 1420 with YL talking, I think in
English, 17725 was quite a bit weaker (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MALAYSIA. Following Mauno Ritola`s measurements around 6100, I checked
carefully again March 19 at 1318 and the het was on the lower side at approx.
6099.7 --- slightly above middle C in pitch, 256 Hz, I judged it; he says the
station off-frequency here is V. of Malaysia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEXQ not heard well lately, but classical music detectable on 6045,
March 19 at 1310, JBA amid stronger Asian signals.

XEYU 9599v is back on the air after a couple of weeks, from mid-day March 19,
says Julián Santiago Díez de Bonilla, DF. I did not hear it earlier that
morning in usual 31m bandscan. Checked at 0015 UT March 20, tell-tale het
against RHC 9600.0, and HCJB DRM 9590-9595-9600 is already on. No chance for
XEYU, but let us hope at certain daytime or early morning hours will still be
in clear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. Happened across RN, 6165 via Bonaire, March 19 at 0544
when Robert Chessell was trying to defend referring both to Suriname and
Netherlands as ``tiny`` (altho Suriname is a lot larger than Netherlands, it is
tiny compared to other South American countries). No it isn`t; it is merely
smaller. Someone else caught him in the Tiny Trap, but he tried to wiggle out.
Apparently was the new mailbag show Echoes, which is not listed as available
ondemand here http://www.radionetherlands.nl/listenonline/weeklyarchive
tho supposedly all programs are. Since I tuned into the middle of this
discussion, I wanted to hear exactly what was said (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA [and non]. Monitored 17660 again March 19 with Afropop music
distraxion from Gabon at 1430; by 1438 I could hear some SAH on it; strangely,
Afropop ran open carrier from 1440 and I wondered if they were about to close
down, but resumed music at 1446. At 1448 the Saudi SAH became quite heavy as
their French broadcast was joined (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH AFRICA. Channel Africa`s morning announcer seems to be under the very
mistaken impression she is broadcasting on 9620. Once again March 19 at 0518 on
9685 the ID mentioned only 9620 for ``V. of the African Renaissance``! Going by
EiBi, I previously remarked that 9620 would not be on the air until 0700.
Correct, but not really in English. Confirmed at Channel Africa`s own site
http://www.channelafrica.org/portal/site/channelafrica/menuitem.55105713e14905292aca35505401aeb9/

9620 at 0700 will be in Chinyanja, and no English on it until 10-12 and 14-16
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT managed to bring up the correct frequency, March 19 at 1329, IS
heard on 12035 prior to opening English. Nothing audible on // 11735, however,
so maybe that transmitter was still on the previous hour`s frequency. See also
ECUADOR (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WTJC, 9370, March 19 at 1325 with a preacher, was overmodulated,
distorted and splattering; worse, putting out a distorted spur around 9270;
recheck at 1519 it was centered at 9280, and 9370 even more distorted than
earlier. At neither time did I find a spur to match on the hi side around 9460
or 9470. So I notified the FBN CE who promptly replied he was working on it.
Not rechecked here until 2200 when the spurs were not audible (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN [non]. March 19 at 1313 I noted the perpetual collision between
Vatican Radio via RVA Philippines and Radio Australia on 6020, VR IS just
before closing; tuning on up the band, VR IS again on 6140 at 1314. This was
not a Paluig QSY, but instead via Chita, Russia, per HFCC. WRTH 2007 shows 6020
is Mandarin until 1330, but they must have guessed wrong since VR refuses to
publish the ending times of its broadcasts; 6140 Vietnamese (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front