[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs March 8

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. The Solh Theme, as we may as well call it, is indeed
appearing every day at the same time, it seems; at least on March 8, there it
was again starting at 1451, until 1457, on 15265 via Rampisham UK (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC. Some more comments on that new missionary station
on 6030. They say the antenna is almost as large as a football field --- is
that as in American football, or as in soccer? Surely the latter would be more
apt in the CAR. This is probably a ``lazy H`` NVIS antenna, which the HCJB
engineers have been pushing and installing at various other remote missionary
stations, the anti-DX design which maximizes vertical incidence and minimizes
low-angle radiation suitable for long-distance reception. Nevertheless, some
DXers will eventually pull it in, no doubt. Since NVIS works in the daytime in
the tropical bands, it could be that most or all of their 8-hour broadcast day
is in the daytime, thus also avoiding DX QRM. If I were picking a frequency for
my new station, 6030 would be close to my last choice with megawatts of
dentroCuban jamming and R. Martí on it for much of the day --- unless I could
be sure those would not be propagating when I`m on the air.

Note also that the press release on this does not specify the name of the
station, just the organization running it, ICDI. So what will it actually be
called on the air? All ears on 6030, UT Monday at 0400 or whenever the R. Martí
jammers go silent, which should be our best shot at it propagationally, until
somewhat past local sunrise 0500 or so, IF it is on the air then. There might
be another window, especially in Europe, at 2100 after BBC Oman closes 6030,
but is VOR Kaliningrad really colliding with BBC for hours and hours, and
running another hour until 2200 when Martí comes on?

[Later:] With DST in effect in both Miami and Cuba by this coming UT Monday,
the Martí/DCJC silent period should start at 0300 UT, tho CAR unlikely to be on
that early (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. DRM has appeared on 15135-15140-15145, March 8 at 1458 check and
continuing past 1500. HCJB has done this on 15140 before, and Media Network
confirms that`s what it is from a DRM forum:

``Doug, HC7AW, from HCJB writes: "The Voice of the Andes is doing some new DRM
test transmissions to North America for the next couple of weeks. We will start
on 15140 kHz from 1200 to 2400 each day and then move to 9820 kHz from 0000 to
0800 UT.

"Our heading will start on the east coast of the USA and then shift toward the
middle of the country at 0630. I know that is pretty late for most of you, but
we are broadcasting to a shortwave listeners convention in the USA and we
expect them to be up and listening to us :-)" (Source: DRM Software Radio
Forums, 6 March 2007 via Media Network blog March 8 via DXLD)``

That will ruin reception of Oman`s only English hour at 14-15 on 15140. I
wonder if the super signal from WYFR all day on 15130 will be a problem for
this. From HFCC it looks like 9820 will not bother much on 9815, 9820 or 9825,
however (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. ERA5 via SVO, 15630. Is it still testing and still cutting off every
few seconds? Yes, as it took only that long to confirm at 1500 March 8 before
and after a timesignal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Yes, RNZI is still turning off DRM during at least one hour
they claim it is running on their revised schedule: no sign of it on 7145,
March 8 at 1430; the day before I heard it back after 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re: WBOH CAUSING HARMFUL INTERFERENCE --- Dear Mr. Hauser, Thank you
for bringing this to our attention. We are passing this information on to our
engineers. We would welcome future feedback. In Christ's service, (Michael D.
Ebron, FBN, March 8, via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Checking further for WBOH spurs: March 8 at 0656 UT, 5920 was back on altho
weaker than usual and undermodulated, distorted, inferior reception to Colombia
on 5910. And the pulsing spurs were back too: on 5889 after 0700 I could
recognize the woman newscaster`s voice from USA Network as also on 5920. The
pulses could also be heard on 5951 interfering with Radio Taiwan International
in English via WYFR.

Another check at 1433 UT: 5920 was on but spurs not audible (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Rapid pulsing noise heard here Mar 8 on both 5890 and 5950 in the Buffalo area
at about 1450, when I briefly tuned away from R Solh's great music on 15265 to
check. No stations interfered with at this time and no audio recovered from the
spurs, but WBOH loud and clear on 5920 so they indeed are the most likely
culprit. Wonder what they are using for a transmitter? 73 de (Anne Fanelli,
thinking spring -- not DST :-) -- in Elma NY, March 8, dxldyg via DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. R. Martí audible on 15290, March 8 at 1502, much weaker signal than
15330 but no jamming audible on 15290; maybe one of those spurs which appear
periodically. However, I could hear it on the FRG-7 with external antenna but
not on the YB-400 with internal. The huge RHC carrier was still open on 15370,
so this may have been some kind of mix with that, strangely enough (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Need Mail bonding?