[HCDX] Zimbabwe Government Confirms Jamming Foreign Radio Broadcasts

Zimbabwe Government Confirms Jamming Foreign Radio Broadcasts
http://www.playfuls.com/news_10_16694-Zimbabwe-Government-
Confirms-Jamming-Foreign-Radio-Broadcasts.html

A senior official in Zimbabwe has confirmed that President Robert
Mugabe's government is jamming foreign radio broadcasts into the
country, reports said Thursday.

The Zimbabwe government is jamming the signal of Voice of America's
Studio 7 programme, which broadcasts news and information into
Zimbabwe most evenings, deputy Information Minister Bright Matonga
was quoted as saying.

"We cannot allow foreigners to invade our airwaves without our
authority," Matonga told parliament, according to quotes carried by the
official Herald newspaper.

"We will continue to do it [jam their signal]. We need to protect our
sovereignty. If you go to England you will not receive any foreign radio
station," he said.

It was the first official confirmation of the practice, which has been
condemned by press freedom groups.

Matonga was responding to a question from opposition Movement for
Democratic Change (MDC) legislator Willas Madzimure in parliament
Wednesday on why the authorities were jamming Studio 7's shortwave
broadcasts, when most areas of the country cannot receive any local
radio or television signal.

Only around 30 per cent of areas in the southern African country can
receive any signal from the four state-controlled radio stations and its
sole television station.

The Zimbabwe government is believed to be using Chinese equipment
to jam the signals of at least three private radio stations that broadcast
into Zimbabwe.

Studio 7, which is based in Washington, started to experience
interference with its signal last year. Another two stations, London-
based SW Radio Africa and Voice of the People have also had their
signals jammed.

c 2007 DPA

http://zlgr.multiply.com (raidio monitoring site plus audio clips )
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
.
on my main : www.geocities.com/zliangas
-tty-px.html : test of various TTY programs
-ethics.htm    : greek ethics , days and institutions
-frape.htm: the greek way of cofee !!!
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop