[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 28

** GERMANY. 11890, Feb 28 at 1502 I heard a British accent in news and noted it
as BBC. Caveat: it was really VOA per schedules, Lampertheim at 108 degrees.
Notable anyway because I was hearing a short/long path echo on it (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU, R. UNAM, 9599+, amazing S9+20 signal in the middle of the
night at 0730 Feb 28 with cello/piano sonata (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Re DXLD 7-026, RNZI`s current schedule as still given at
http://www.rnzi.com/pages/listen.php

26 Feb 2007 - 26 Mar 2007 UTC kHz band Target Azimuth Days
0559-1058  9870 31 Pacific 0  Daily

1300-1750  5950 49 Pacific 0  Daily
1751-1850  9765 31 NE Pacific, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands 35  Daily
1850-1950 11725 25 Pacific 0  Daily
1950-2258 17675 16 Pacific 0  Daily
2259-0558 15720 19 Pacific 0  Daily

2259-1259 13840 21 NW Pacific, Bougainville, PNG, Timor 325  Daily

Appears to contain an error, which I did not notice at first. See the final
entry for 13840, which implies unusually that this frequency is on the air for
14 hours straight, and for most of that time duplicated on another frequency.
This would mean they do have both transmitters going, but still not resuming
DRM.

What I now think axually happened is that the 2259-1259 entry should read
1059-1259, neatly filling the gap at the top of the list between 9870 and 5950.
(I have inserted line spaces.) I got to thinking about this further when I
found no trace of 13840 at 0723 Feb 28 even tho Australia was audible on 13630.
So this also corrects what I say on WOR 1348 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. Feb 28 I started monitoring 17660 at 1435 to find out when I
could first detect a subaudible heterodyne on Afropop music distraxion, Gabon,
from BSKSA on its new frequency in French. That happened at 1452, probably
shortly after they turned it on. However, this date, hi-latitude propagation
was poor on higher frequencies, lacking Greece 17525, Libya 17725, even Morocco
17750 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. How propagation can vary; one night on 7455 I am hearing WYFR way on
top of WEWN, and another night, Feb 28 at 0731, WEWN was way over WYFR, as the
shorter skip distance was favored. Hey, maybe they are coöperating in an
experiment or a competition to see who wins the frequency, not to mention the
RTTY! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 15120, Feb 28 at 1458, unID language and what I noted as hilife
music until 1459:30* without further announcement; such precision does not
point to Nigeria. This is really listed as R. Liberty in Kazakh, via Morocco
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9152, Feb 28 at 0728, spy letters in groups of 5 on MCW, or A3,
no carrier breaks. Extremely strong signal S9+25 overloaded receiver and I also
heard it above 9.5 MHz unless that was a real spur (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9240, Feb 28 at 1505, big open carrier, S9+22, at 1507 starting
5-digit Spanish YL numbers, but 1508 switched briefly to MCW letters, back to
open carrier, 1510 MCW again but cut to continuous wailing tone continuing past
1530. If not from US, must be Cuba, and at these hours plenty of RHC
transmitters are available. With such huge signals it`s hard to believe they
aren`t broadcast transmitters in the 250 kW range (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

http://new.mail.yahoo.com