[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs April 29-30

** CUBA. RHC, 9550, UT Monday April 30 at 0520 had an interview about increased
USG travel restrixions to Cuba; high-school students in Albuquerque are in
trouble for going. This originated with ``Wakeup Call``, which is the morning
talk show on WBAI, Pacifica, NYC, whose blog is:
http://wakeupcallradio.blogspot.com/
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. V. of Nigeria, 15120, at tune-in April 30 at 2005 putting out
noises, pause, the lo-fi talk in English, perhaps news. One would have to be
much more motivated than I to try to keep listening to a signal with such lousy
audio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, at 2005 April 30 opening ``Españoles en la Mar``, ``desde las
Islas`` so presumably still originating from Tenerife, VG on 15110, // 15345
much weaker and with a very heavy SAH due to almost equal mix with Morocco in
Arabic; no het from Argentina audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [and non]. YVTO active at the moment on 5000. Propagation
permitting, one may quickly notice the higher-pitched pips along with WWV/H.
The voice announcements are timed so as to clash, but I heard the word
``Caracas`` in a momentary pause by WWVH, April 29 a few seconds before 0552.
CODAR was also running just below 5000 and as I tuned slightly to the side, I
noticed that the CODAR pulses were exactly one second apart as if they were
time signals too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. Another try for SW Radio Africa, Monday April 30, this time
when they should be on the air, 1728 UT, but nothing audible on 12035, 11975,
11810, and 11775 blocked as always by Defunct Gene Scott, Anguilla. BTW, in
WDXC Contact, Edwin Southwell in England reported SWRA on 9615, opening at 1658
April 28 // 4880, 11775, 11810 and 12035. --- but two days later, editor Mike
Barraclough heard instead at 1700 VOR in Polish. Probably 9615 was a feed mixup
in Russia, but worth further checking (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Contrary to my expectations, I was again able to monitor the
extremely distorted spur on UT Sunday April 29. WHRI was indeed on 7315 until
0600, as is the case only on UT Sun & Mon, but the spur had shifted down to
about 7311, so it was still separable, and causing a variable squeal as it beat
against 7315, checked at 0533, with unintelligible talk, just M&W alternating
in French. Once again, RNW Flevo 7310 inaudible due to high K-index. At 0557 DW
IS via Portugal started on 7310 so the spur was then beating against that, and
WHRI went off shortly later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 28 April follow. Solar flux 85 and mid-latitude
A-index 27. The mid-latitude K-index at 0300 UTC on 29 April was 5 (83 nT). The
mid-latitude K-index at 0600 UTC on 29 April was 4 (64 nT). Space weather for
the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level
occurred. Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected (SEC via DXLD)

UNIDENTIFIED. UT Monday April 30 at 0512, the extremely distorted spur on
approx. 7312 was still audible in the form of QRM to WHRI 7315, altho the
latter was much stronger than the night before. Thorsten Hallmann suggests it
may be a major broadcaster due to strength and non-African-accented French. I
agree this is possible, altho I have never heard any recognizable IS or ID
during various monitoring including around hourtops (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com