[HCDX] Digital Radio Mondiale to be trialled in India in May

 Digital Radio Mondiale to be trialled in India in May

The Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) Consortium, AIR-India and the ABU
will jointly launch a DRM trial in India next month to help pave the way
for the digitalisation of the country's radio services.

The trial is targeted at mediumwave (MW) radio broadcasters,
equipment manufacturers, radio receiver manufacturers and retailers. It
is expected to run from 7 to12 May, conducted on AIR transmitters in
New Delhi.

The project aims to demonstrate the feasibility of the relatively new
technology of Channel Simulcast (SCS) and Multi-Channel Simulcast
(MCS), while broadcasting analogue and digital radio signals using only
one transmitter.

The ABU and AIR will be assisted by the DRM Consortium and DRM's
members, Thomson and Hitachi Electric Kokusai as well as
Universidad del Pais Vasco based in Spain.

DRM is the world's only open standard, universal, digital on-air system
for short-wave, medium-wave/AM and long-wave.

"Given that this region has some of the largest number of MW radio
broadcasters, we believe that successful trials and measurements will
pave the way for easy and cost effective transition to DRM
transmissions," said Sharad Sadhu, ABU Head of Transmission,
Technology and Spectrum.

DRM Chairman Peter Senger said: "We are proud and very happy that
these tests will become a reality now and we would like to thank all
parties involved. We see a great potential for the DRM system in Asia."

David Birrer, of Thomson Radio Broadcasting Marketing & Strategy,
said: "A smooth transition to DRM will bring AIR a lot of new
possibilities for local and national services, while generally enhancing
the popularity of the medium.

"In addition, DRM makes much more efficient use of the existing
broadcast infrastructure."

http://www.abu.org.my/public/dsp_page.cfm?articleid=2840&urlsectioni
d=1061&specialsection=ART_FULL&pageid=247&PSID=3372
Tuesday 24 Apr 2007

http://zlgr.multiply.com (raidio monitoring site plus audio clips )
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
.
on my main : www.geocities.com/zliangas
-tty-px.html : test of various TTY programs
-ethics.htm    : greek ethics , days and institutions
-frape.htm: the greek way of cofee !!!
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop