Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition for 17-18 April 2007

Radio Havana Cuba
Dxers Unlimited
Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition for 17-18 April 2007
By Arnie Coro
radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados around the world... welcome to the mid week
edition of Dxers Unlimited, coming to you when the Sun is showing
practically no signs of activity... no sun spots , a blank solar disk
for many days, and the daily measurement of the microwave solar flux is
at minimum levels , between 60 and 70 units, the lowest figures
registered by microwave radiometers at any time since those measurements
began in 1947.  So, in other words amigos, we seem to be right in the
middle of solar minimum for cycle 23.... and that of course means that
HF propagation conditions are very poor to say the least, so poor in
fact that frequencies above 20 mega-Hertz remain totally dead for long
distance ionospheric propagation just as if they were VHF frequencies.
But what is bad for some radio hobbyists is good for others, and due to
the very low solar activity we are enjoying exceptionally good medium
wave broadcast band DX conditions during the extended spring equinoctial
season.
Item two: Noise, noise sources of all types are making reception of
short wave signals very difficult for listeners that can not install
external antennas well away from noise sources. That's why every time
someone tells me that their local noise level is very high, I provide
the following two bits of advice. Number one: Try, by all means to
pinpoint the main source of the noise that is affecting your reception,
and Number two: Don't think it twice,and go ahead and home brew a
magnetic loop antenna...
Following my advice , listener Gary from Vermont, found out, using a
very simple VHF directional antenna , that his main source of HF noise
was very clearly coming from a specific electricity pole, where a 50
kilovolt ampere transformer was installed. It wasn't even the
distribution transformer that fed his house, it was almost a city block
away, just around the corner, but , sure, it was the noise generator...
I'll tell you more about how Gary dealt with the noisy transformer and
how you can home brew a direction finding antenna following Gary's
experience...
Stay tuned, as Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition continues with more
radio hobby related information , coming to you from Havana,  I am Arnie
Coro, radio amateur CO2KK ...
This is Radio Havana Cuba, the name of the show is Dxers Unlimited, and
yes, you can listen also via our Internet streaming audio, from rhc.cu
yes, just type, rhc.cu on your browser and it will do the rest... Our
streaming audio is on the Internet from 05 to 07 hours UTC... Now as
promised , how amigo Gary dealt with the noisy power utilitity
transformer that he pinpointed with his two meters band three element
Yagi antenna.
Yes, you heard it right, Gary connected a portable three element Yagi
antenna he built using a short length of PVC pipe and aluminum tubing to
his two meters band handie talkie, and went around the neighborhood
searching for the noise sources. He told me that when he turned around
the corner , the noise increased dramatically when the Yagi was aiming
at the other street's utility distribution transformer...Arnie, he said,
it was so clear, that there was no chance for a mistake...
I then called the power company customer service and they sent an
engineer that had a noise finder of a different nature. His equipment
was tuned below the AM broadcast band, and could not locate the noisy
transformer until it was placed exactly below it, while my handie talkie
and Yagi combination could pick up the noise source almost a block away
from it. In fact, Gary explains, the very cooperative person from the
power utility went to my home and asked for a diagram of my noise finder
Yagi, because he said that he was going to build one . The next morning
the utility crew came with a new transformer and replaced the faulty one.
Two days later, Gary said that the engineer that had worked with him to
find the noise source called on the phone to tell him that the
transformer was opened at the repair shop and they found damages done by
an arc
over that was due to a faulty insulator, and he also said that anytime
that he had a noise problem he could call directly to his cell phone.
Now, that's service at its best, and it shows that many times power
company people learn from radio amateurs and short wave listeners when
trying to find noise sources.

ASK ARNIE, the most popular section of Dxers Unlimited amigos, no doubt,
according to your e-mail , letters and also you tell me when we have the
opportunity of talking to Dxers Unlimited's listeners that are
also amateur radio operators. By the way, I am just giving the finishing
touches to my new digital HF station, so soon CO2KK will be back again
on the air using PSK31, MFSK16 and other digital keyboard to keyboard
modes. According to propagation forecasts for the next three months or
so, you will probably be able to work CO2KK digital on either 20 or 40
meters, as my main HF transceiver is a very old radio that doesn't have
the WARC bands.  ASK ARNIE today has to do precisely with a question
sent by listeners from Canada, the USA, South Africa, New Zealand,
Nigeria, and India. They all want to know if there are any possibilities
of new amateur HF bands to be discussed during the upcoming World
Administrative Radio Conference 2007, that  is to be held in Geneva,
Switzerland at the end of the year. Well amigos, this is my personal
point of view... all I see happening there in relation to the HF amateur
bands is the possibility of a better realignment of 40 meters worldwide,
but due to the extreme pressures by other users of the radio spectrum,
and the certain decline seen on the use of the HF amateur bands, I don't
think that any new bands will be discussed by the world's regulating
agencies. On the contrary what I am seeing is the possibility that at a
future WARC or World Administrative Radio Conference amateur radio may
be loosing spectrum space now assigned to this service, because many
government telecommunications agencies are carefully monitoring the
present use of the amateur bands from 160 meters all the way up to six
meters... And according to what I have heard, it is clear that the
figures are not encouraging at all... as a matter of fact, the famous
phrase use it or loose it may soon become a reality if radio amateurs
around the world don't increase as soon as possible their on the air
activities...

 From Havana, this is the mid week edition of Dxers Unlimited, and here
is item four... a connector related item... Yes radio frequency
connectors for coaxial cables are something difficult to deal with, so
my advice is that you select the ones to use at your ham radio station
or short wave listening post, so that they are of the best possible
quality. Yes, good quality RF connectors for coaxial cables are
expensive, but they will last forever it properly installed. Poor
quality connectors are a source of headaches and they seem to fail
always at the worst possible moment. At CO2KK my amateur radio station I
use three types of RF connectors, the standard BNC for thin coaxial
cables, the PL259 male and SO239 female coaxial connectors for quarter
inch and half inch diameter cables for HF and low band VHF applications
and the expensive N type connectors for UHF signals. All my tests with
high quality PL259 connectors show that there
is no difference at all on 2 meters between the PL259 and the more
expensive N type constant impedance connectors, so the obvious thing to
do is to use the N connectors only above 150 mega-Hertz...
And by all means amigos, learn how to properly install all the RG
connectors at your shack, it will take some time and practice to do it
properly,but time spent learning how to install RF coaxial cable
connectors is well worth every minute of it..
Also, any connectors that are exposed to the weather must be properly
sealed and protected, because there is nothing worse than humidity
leaking inside a coaxial cable ... So, when installing new antennas or
providing maintenance to existing ones, don't forget to have at hand all
the necessary sealing items, including special elastic tapes, silicon
sprays and weather protection boxes. I had recently the very bad
experience of a faulty junction box that provides the phasing to a two
Yagi 2 meters band array, that happened because the connectors were not
properly sealed against the weather... It took several hours, and three
new connectors to do the repair job... that would had been totally
unnecessary if I had installed the phasing box properly to begin with
!!! But this was done a day before a contest, and
you know, then the new antenna was left to its own luck , only to find
about six months later that the standing wave ratio of the antenna
system had gone up dramatically... then it was too late... My elder son
Arnie Junior reminded me of what I had done the day before the VHF
contest, and how the connectors were not protected against the weather.
- Dad, he said, its your own fault, so now I must take the whole array
down and do a complete repair job for you. But this time , the antenna
system will last for at least three years, that is the maximum time that
we have found out that an antenna in Cuban weather will last without a major
overhaul of the weather protection for the RF coaxial cable connectors !!!

And for those of you that have asked about our Internet audio in
English, here is again the information on when and how to listen to it.
The English language program is on the Internet streaming audio from 05
to 07 Hours UTC, and the URL of the site is very simple, just rhc.cu, so
you need only to type rhc.cu on your browser and that will take you to
the web site, then click on the loudspeaker icon, and that's it...
Now as always at the end of the program here is Arnie Coro's Dxers
Unlimited's HF plus  VHF low band propagation update and forecast...
Solar activity at rock bottom levels, with extremely quiet geomagnetic
field conditions. |Sporadic E spring-summer season due to begin in
around two weeks from now or maybe earlier, so watch for signs of low
band TV channels skip signals.Expect excellent nighttime AM broadcast
band conditions , but now they may be slightly spoiled as spring
thunderstorms start to generate static crashes that make reception
difficult especially during the summer season. Don't forget to send me
your signal reports and comments about the program to arnie@xxxxxx,
again arnie@xxxxxx or VIA AIR MAIL to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba,
Havana, Cuba