[HCDX] Iran is partly funding new Zimbabwe radio station

Iran is partly funding new Zimbabwe radio station
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/april2007/iran_zimbabwe_radio.htm
If you wondered how Zimbabwe, whose economy is in a desperate
state, can afford to set up a new international radio station, the answer
is simple - it can't. But President Robert Mugabe has found a donor
who can - Iran.

Reports vary on the exact cost of the project - the BBC reports US$39.6
million and ABC Australia $48 million, rather than the $35 million
reported by the Herald yesterday. But inflation is so high in Zimbabwe
that it's very difficult to perform an accurate conversion - the figure in
local currency is quoted by the BBC as Z$8.9bn.

Iran is understood to have assisted in refurbishing the studio facilities in
Harare that will be used by the station, and is now said to have agreed
to do the same in Zimbabwe's second city, Bulawayo. The Herald
quotes the Iranian ambassador, Rasoul Momeni, as saying "We are
going to strengthen our relationship, especially in technically upgrading
radio and television stations."

The transmitters near Gweru are widely reported to have been donated
by the Chinese government, so apparently Zimbabwe is able to count
on both countries for technical assistance. No frequency details have
yet been published, and the website of the Zimbabwe Broadcasting
Corporation has been unavailable for some time.

We would expect test transmissions to commence at least a few days
prior to 18 April, the date by which Zimbabwe's Information Minister
says the station will be operational.

Zimbabwe's News24 to launch by 18 April
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/april2007/news24.htm
Zimbabwe's Information Minister Sikhanyiso Ndlovu has said that the
country's new international shortwave radio station, News24, will start
broadcasting before independence celebrations on 18 April.

The new radio station will be based in Gweru, and should be available
to audiences both in and outside Zimbabwe.

"There will be a revolutionary development in the media. We should be
able to tell our own story," Ndlovu is quoted as saying.

The Herald says the government is spending US$35 million on the
project.

http://zlgr.multiply.com (raidio monitoring site plus audio clips )
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
.
on my main : www.geocities.com/zliangas
-tty-px.html : test of various TTY programs
-ethics.htm    : greek ethics , days and institutions
-frape.htm: the greek way of cofee !!!
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop