[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs June 24-26

** ALASKA. Several news stories June 24-25 about a big fire on ``a scenic
peninsula south of Anchorage``` --- hmm, what could that be? Kenai, maybe? Of
course. Once that is settled, it takes searching thru several stories to find
one giving any more detail. One we found was in of all places, Pravda.ru (which
BTW has cheesecake now), mentioning the town of Clam Gulch. That`s on the west
coast of the almost-island, along hiway 1, between Soldotna and Anchor Point.
Looks like the area is about 40 miles from A.P. and KNLS. Are they praying away
the fire at WCBC? Strangely enough, the Tahoe fire was bigger news in the Lower
48.

KNLS still in operation despite approaching wildfire: June 26 at 1300 on 9780
heard TS, KNLS IS, but mixing with China in Chinese. KNLS better in the clear
on // 9795, with IS running until 1302 switch to theme music and opening its
own Chinese broadcast (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ASIA. Re R. Free Asia`s reluctance to specify transmitter sites on QSLs,
even tho their registrations are hardly any secret --- While I have no evidence
this is so, it occurs to me that one of many tactix a jammed service might
employ would be to switch transmitter sites around in case one would work
better than another under prevailing propagation conditions and/or to keep the
enemy confused. It could be that RFA would rather not specify a site, which
might not be true anyway for a particular reception, since this could tip their
hand, or later be proven lying about it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHAD. Dirty blob was parked about 7288, June 25 at 0454 check causing
multiple hets against 7290 broadcast, presumably BBC Portuguese via South
Africa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. Following Andy Reid`s complaints from Ontario of CRI via CUBA
9570 QRMing R. Australia on 9560, 9580 and 9590, I listened carefully to the
conclusion of Late Night Live, about eugenix, June 26 at 1250, when 9580 was
the only useful RA frequency, and could hear some ``scratching`` from the 9570
transmitter, which on its own frequency was somewhat undermodulated as usual.
The scratching was axually worse when off-tuned slightly to the hi side of 9580
rather than the lo side. I can see how this would be much worse further east,
where the Cuban signal is aimed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HUNGARY. So the final week of R. Budapest. English to North America, UT
daily: 0100-0130 6040 [inaudible in noise when I checked]
0230-0300 6195
Access to audio on demand and live streaming is not obvious from the main R.
Budapest site, but via our DX PROGRAMS info we find it at
http://real1.radio.hu/nemzeti.htm
(Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1364, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA [and non]. Dramatic reading by M&W with slight accents, mentioning
Rasputin, very good signal I had not noticed before on 9515, but speech audio
emphasizing the lower frequencies, UT Mon June 25 at 0437 on 9515. Must be
Audio Book Club, from VOR. Yes, found // synchronized on 9860, and one
sesquisecond behind the others on weaker 13630. A.B.C. outro at 0458 and
wavelength announcements for European and Pacific services about to open, and
for NAm to resume at 0100. I sure thought the last was 13630, but maybe I was
sleepy, since 13635 is listed. Per http://www.ruvr.ru/main.php?lng=eng&w=129&p=

Frequencies at 0400-0500 are:
13775, 13635, 9860, 9435, 9515, 9880(till 31.7.07), 5900(from 1.8.07)

But whence? Three different countries, Germany, Vatican, DV Russia per HFCC:

 9515 0200 0500 7-9,27 WER 250 300 1234567 250307 281007 D D   VOR TRW
 9860 0100 0458 7-9    SMG 250 295 1234567 250307 281007 D CVA VOR TRW
13635 0100 0500 1,2,6  P.K 250  65 1234567 250307 281007 D RUS VOR GFC
That Wertachtal is a winner (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

that gives answers, not web links.