[HCDX] india

as I was doing a restoration and final calibration on a very nice vintage 1940's airline floor model am/sw radio, I was able to come across All India Radio somewhere around 9445-9450 as I could closely indicate on the vintage glowing dial.  it was at 22:00 gmt with a very nice robust signal with hum, news, and commentary.

could this be a new frequency?  I have not heard them with in the past few weeks while I have been restoring this radio during these hours.

I was also able to get them a bit weaker somewhere around 9950/9920 and on what I presume as the old standby of 11620.  once again, this was during a calibration of a 1940's Airline floor model tube radio.  I was not in my listening room to verify the frequencies on the R-5000.  What I do know is that the frequency around 9455-9450 was excellent reception with just a six foot antenna on the Airline tube console.  reception was excellent.

I got the radio at an indoor flea market last month for a mere 30 bucks.  the case is pristine and it did "work"--a little bit.  it looks like they just took it out of "aunt maggie's" living room and sent to the antique depot.  with a complete restoration of all the resistors drifted out of tolerance and a complete replacement of all paper, wax, and electrolytic caps, new tubes, it is just perfect with excellent sensitivity and robust audio.  one of the neat things is that it does not use a regular gang tuning capacitor.  it uses 8 ferrite slugs mounted on a bar inside the chassis which slide in and out of 8 coil forms for tuning the AM and four SW bands.  the Airline radio uses a pair of 6K6 output tubes push/pull driven by a 6J5 in to a 12 inch electrodynamic speaker.  the RF/OSC tubes are a few 6SK7's, a couple 6SA7's, and a 6SQ7.  it has a very nice room-filling 6-7 watts of clean power.  its sensitivity is extremely impressive and has a wide bandwidth on the shortwave bands.  it is one of the best performing AM/SW consoles I have, comparing it to the run-of-the-mill 1940's console AM/SW radios of that era.

listening to All India Radio's music resonating from the vintage floor model radio was a very enjoyable experience.  then I went over to Ciaro a few khz higher.  just as enjoyable.

Steve
Johnstown, PA