[HCDX] Three Mogadishu Radio Stations Authorised to Resume Operations

 Somalia:Three Mogadishu Radio Stations Authorised to Resume
Operations

http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Press_Releases_32/So
malia_Three_Mogadishu_Radio_Stations_Authorised_to_Resume_Op
erations.shtml
10 Jun 10, 2007 - 5:29:40 PM

Mogadishu-based Radio Stations of Shabelle Media Network, Radio
Voice of Holy Quran and Horn Afrik Radio has been authorised to
resume operations today by the Transitional Federal Government after
decree ordering their closure signed by Minister of Information Madobe
Nunow Mohammed was delivered to each of the three stations on 6
June 2007.

Following negotiations between media managers and the Ministry of
Information along with appeals and mounting pressures from National
Union of Somali Journalists, National Media Council and International
Community, the Minister of Information cleared the media institutions to
resume operations.

The three FM stations restarted airing news and programmes in the
mid day.

"We are happy to resume operations and serve the public," said
Abdimalik Yusuf Mohamoud, Managing Director of Shabelle Media
Network. "Especially I give thanks to NUSOJ, IFJ, RSF, CPJ and the
U.S. Ambassador Michael Ranneberger for the needed advocacy,
solidarity and support they provided us", Abdimalik added.

"We welcome the authorisation given to the radio stations to resume
broadcasting," said Omar Faruk Osman, Secretary General of the
National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ). "We appreciate the
TFG leadership's understanding of the appeals made on this case, and
we reiterate that media freedom and freedom of expression in general
are important pillars for peace-building efforts, transitional
democratisation process and successful reconciliation".

Closed Somali radio stations back on air
http://english.people.com.cn/200706/11/eng20070611_382910.html

Three independent Mogadishu-based broadcasters which Somalia's
transitional government ordered closed last week were back on air
Sunday after four days of closure.

Reports reaching here said Information Minister Modobe Nunow
allowed the three radio stations-- Shabelle, HornAfrik and Radio of the
Holy Quran--to resume their operations following a meeting between
him and broadcasters.

"We (the government officials) had discussions with the administrators
of the three stations and agreed on key principal points including first
the broadcasts should be allowed back on air and second rectify the
mistakes being attributed to these stations," Nunow told reporters in
Mogadishu.

The Wednesday's closure of the independent radio stations had elicited
condemnation from media press watchdogs accusing the transitional
government of silencing the media in the Horn of African nation.

The government had also issued a one-day closure order against the
stations in January this year.

Somalia descended into chaos in 1991, when warlords ousted longtime
dictator Mohamed Siad Barre and then fought one another.

The government was formed in 2004 with the help of the United
Nations, but it has struggled to assert any real authority.

The administration, with the crucial aid of neighboring Ethiopia, ousted
Islamic radicals who had ruled Mogadishu and much of southern
Somali for six months last year.

But insurgents linked to the group have vowed to launch an Iraq- style
guerrilla war until the country becomes an Islamic state.

Source: Xinhua

http://zlgr.multiply.com (raidio monitoring site plus audio clips )
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
.
on my main : www.geocities.com/zliangas
-tty-px.html : test of various TTY programs
-ethics.htm    : greek ethics , days and institutions
-frape.htm: the greek way of cofee !!!
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop