[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs June 5-7

** CHAD. The extremely distorted signal which has been traced to RNT being over
1 MHz off-frequency from 6165 is still there: June 6 at 0510 check, it was
pretty much centered on 7290 causing severe QRM to BBC in Portuguese, which is
via South Africa, 500 kW at 335 degrees, 0430-0530 and M-F only. Does BBC care?
RNW, DW and our team tracked down the source already when it was on 7312v
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [and non]. R. Japan, NHK Warido, really goes after the
language-learners. UT Thu June 7 at 0623 I was hearing Japanese lessons for
Germans on 11970 via Gabon, and at the same time on very strong 11715 direct,
Japanese LL for English-speakers. I wonder how many people actually learn a
language this way? 11715 tho for NE Siberia following the Russian broadcast at
0530 is on a 35 degree beam so might as well be designated for NAm too like
13630. Program is Brush Up Your Japanese, Thu 0620-0654 among other times,
while on Tue at same hours it is Basic Japanese For You (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU again barely audible, June 7 at 0623 on 9599+ with classical
music, het (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Not sure why I keep listening to the Live from Turkey webcast,
Tuesdays 1850-1920+ which is also on 9785, but something to distract me while I
am putting the finishing touches on preparing to record WORLD OF RADIO. LFT is
usually just three or two announcers chatting, about how bad the traffic is in
Istanbul, how hot it is in the studio at 10 pm, or the current political
situation, or how Turkey ought to go after the nasty Kurds across the border in
Iraq (which they reportedly did the next day). This time, June 5, they
mentioned that they now know why they have not been getting any calls for
several weeks. It turns out both the phone they had been using and the phone
line are out of order. Some people e- mailed to tell them they tried to call
but could not get thru. The German sexion finally traced the problem, so a
repair order is pending. This time the IS did not start until 1924, assuming
the usual webcast delay of half a minute, so VOT remains flexible about whether
broadcasts last anywhere from 50 to 55 minutes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. Another time for WORLD OF RADIO on WRMI is 0600 UT Thu on 9955, as I
happened across it at 0621 June 7; Jeff White says that has been added tho like
most of the overnight broadcasts it is ``semi-permanent``. 9955 has been
propagating lately, without jamming, also e.g. UT Mon 0530 with WOR (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KMOX IBOC is certainly a problem here around sunset, but checking out
recent report that they were running it around local midnight, June 5 at 0545
UT there was no sign of it on 1110-1120-1130. However, when I first tuned in
there was some other kind of pulsing around these very frequencies --- went
away once I unplugged a TV set (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. I thought LV de la RASD, 6300, signed on around 0700,
but June 5 at 0606 it was already going with monotonous chants, 0609 YL
announcement in Arabic, an ID, I think, and into instrumental music, 0610 OM
talking. Meanwhile, RHC mixing product of 6060 leapfrogging over 6180, 120 kHz
further up, could be heard underneath on 6300, and the two produced a SAH of
about 4 Hz, which speaks remarkably for the frequency control of both stations,
unless it is just coincidental. Then DX Mix News, Bulgaria confirmed that the
morning Arabic transmission has shifted to 0600-0800, and evening sign-off an
hour earlier to 2300* (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1362, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 04 June follow. Solar flux 86 and mid-latitude
A-index 11. The mid-latitude K-index at 0600 UTC on 05 June was 0 (4 nT). No
space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours. No space weather
storms are expected for the next 24 hours (SEC via DXLD)

http://sims.yahoo.com/