Re: [HCDX] HF radio signal propagation topics...

There was a paper in the IEEE about HF reciprocity in the mid 1980's which showed that HF reciprocity did not always exist. See:

"A new wideband HF technique for MHz-Bandwidth spread-spectrum radio communications"

by B. Perry,              Communications Magazine, IEEE
              Volume 21, Issue 6, Sep 1983 Page(s): 28 -  36

A sinusoidal signal at constant amplitude (power), swept in frequency over a one MHz HF bandwidth, was transmitted from place A to B. Then B sent the same signal back to place A with roughly identical equipment. Both received signals were recorded (A's signal at B, B's signal at A). The two signal strengths did not always match with respect to frequency. A plot of the frequency response at A did not always look like the frequency response at B. The time difference between A transmitting and B transmitting was one second (i.e. A transmits to B for one second, B transmits to A for the next second, thus alternating seconds).

Hope this helps.
Paul

Dan Ferguson <shortwave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Tom,

IIRC (perhaps not a given anymore, if ever), signal power reciprocity is
essentially built in to the underlying prediction engine (VOACAP) upon which
the software you've used is based.

DanF