[HCDX] Shortwave radio is retaining its longtime magic

Shortwave radio is retaining its longtime magic

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/jun/04/shortwave-radio-
is-retaining-its-longtime-magic/
I've been hearing voices for years. Strange music, too. While that
bothers my wife, I can't imagine a world without those voices.

Sometimes the voices are clear, but my favorite times are when they
are faint whispers that fade in and out of the static from the old
shortwave receiver in my home office.

Radio broadcasting is an analog technology in a digital world yet each
time I write about it, I hear from readers who find it either reawakens an
old interest in shortwave listening or creates a new one.

Stay tuned and I'll tell you why.

Maybe it's because we're dealing with magic here. Being completely
practical about shortwave radio is as silly as being practical about golf
or fishing. But for those who want practical benefits, shortwave
broadcasting has some.

It offers a broader perspective on the world than any TV program or
newspaper. Shortwave lets you pull up a chair and listen for as long as
you'd like to the news, music and popular programs of other lands.
There's something about hearing the voices that helps a person
understand.

There's also no better way to refresh language skills than listening to
native speakers.

But the people who eventually find themselves pulled into the static end
up staying because of the magic. It's very much like fishing; you never
quite know what you'll pull in.

So how do you sample this hobby? The good news is, it's a lot cheaper
than computing. Sony and Grundig make excellent portable shortwave
receivers for $200 or less. Even with the built-in antenna, you can
cruise the world because commercial broadcasters pump out such
strong signals.

Browse amateur radio catalogs online for a receiver in your price range.
Ham Radio Outlet can be found at http://www.hamradio.com. Amateur
Electronic Supply at http://www.aesham.com is another good source. A
low-cost portable from either one is a good way to start.

For computer lovers, several manufacturers make shortwave receivers
designed to be connected to and controlled by a computer. These
radios are very sophisticated and yet because your computer does
much of the work the cost isn't much higher than for buying a low-end
portable.

My favorite of these computer/radio hybrids is from Ten-Tec. Read
about it at http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur/Receivers/TT320.

Reluctant to spend much money on what may be a passing interest?
Fortunately, there are ways to ease into the hobby.

First, consider a book called "Passport to World Band Radio 2007."
Besides offering an easy-to-understand introduction, you'll get honest
reviews of every radio on the market. If you decide to buy a radio, the
book has information about commercial shortwave broadcasters,
including schedules and program guides.

You can find the book online at http://www.passband.com. You may
also find a review originally published in this column on that site. It's a
favorable review but, I promise, I have no financial interest in the book