[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 461

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

I personally curate this now resuming series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Angkor Wat”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the largest and arguably the most astonishing religious structure on Earth, built for Suryavarman II in the 12th Century in modern-day Cambodia. It is said to have more stone in it than the Great Pyramid of Giza, and much of the surface is intricately carved and remarkably well preserved. For the last 900 years Angkor Wat has been a centre of religion, whether Hinduism, Buddhism or Animism or a combination of those, and a source of wonder to Cambodians and visitors from around the world.  With Piphal Heng, Postdoctoral scholar at the Cotsen Institute and the Programme for Early Modern Southeast Asia at UCLA; Ashley Thompson, Hiram W Woodward Chair of Southeast Asian Art at SOAS University of London; And Simon Warrack, A stone conservator who has worked extensively at Angkor Wat. (49”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0018hd7

“The Reluctant Millionaires”
THE DOCUMENTARY - BBC World Service
Why would anyone want to pay more tax? Film-maker, activist and multi-millionaire Disney heiress Abigail Disney presents a very personal introduction to the millionaires campaigning against their own wealth. From Morehead, Kentucky to Davos, Switzerland, Washington DC to Orlando, Florida, Abigail tells the story of contemporary wealth inequality, focusing particularly on the United States. What harm is wealth inequality doing to society and democracy and what can be done about it?  Featuring members of US millionaire campaign group The Patriotic Millionaires - including founder Erica Payne and ex-Black Rock director Morris Pearl. We also hear from Austrian inheritor and campaigner Marlene Englehorne, Author of The Sum of Us; Heather McGee and inequality expert Chuck Collins as well as Preston Brashers, senior policy analyst at The Heritage Foundation.  Abigail digs into the history, present reality and possible future of wealth inequality. Can she stay hopeful about a cause she has made her own? Can taxation change the world and are the rich really prepared to surrender their wealth and their power? (50”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct4lpp

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, will resume in December's CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, ham radio outlet.