[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 455

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

I personally curate this now resuming series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

[Ed. Note:  I rediscovered this program via Sirius/XM satellite radio on a morning drive from Boston to Albany, NY this morning and was reminded of what a fine weekly audio “rotogravure” it has been for decades now.  I urge you to rediscover it for yourself.]

“Sunday November 13, 2022 Program”
THE SUNDAY MAGAZINE - CBC Radio One
1. How abortion rights shaped the results of the U.S. midterm elections
Amid the uncertainty surrounding the midterm elections in the United States, voters delivered a show of support for reproductive rights. Canadian-American lawyer and journalist Dahlia Lithwick joins Chattopadhyay to offer analysis on how the issue shaped the results, how access to abortion was impacted in some states, what the future makeup of congress might mean for Americans, and what lies ahead for the Supreme Court post-election.  (22”)
2. Remembering the Canadian veteran who led the WHO
More than a century after the First World War, Canadian historian Robert C. Engen tells the story of George Brock Chisholm, a soldier from Oakville, Ont. whose military experience informed his decision to become a psychiatrist. His work changed the way the Canadian military assessed recruits – for both mental and physical fitness – before sending them to war. Chisholm later became the celebrated first director-general of the World Health Organization. As we mark Remembrance Day, Engen says Chisholm's achievements remind us of the potential lost in every war. (11’)
3. What layoffs at Twitter and Meta might mean for the future of Big Tech
Nearly 15,000 tech workers were laid off this month at two of the world's largest social media companies, as Twitter and Facebook's parent company Meta make big changes they say are necessary to remain competitive. But science fiction author, activist and writer Cory Doctorowbelieves the layoffs are just the latest example of workers bearing the brunt of poor decision-making by tech billionaires. Doctorow joins Chattopadhyay to talk about his new book, Chokepoint Capitalism, which explores the fight for better labour standards in Big Tech and makes the case for collective action to keep the Elon Musks and Mark Zuckerbergs of the world in check. (25”)
4. Why El Jones believes in a world without prisons
A recent report from Canada's top prison watchdog offered a bleak picture of this country's track record when it comes to incarcerated people, particularly Black and Indigenous prisoners. It found those inmates face rampant racial discrimination, bias and stereotyping. And in many cases, it's getting worse. Chattopadhyay speaks with long-time prisoner advocate, poet, professor, and activist El Jones, who believes there is a clear, if not simple, way forward: Get rid of prisons altogether. Her new book, Abolitionist Intimacies, examines the prison abolition movement, shares personal stories of prisoners and their families, as well as Jones's own poetry and prose. (25”)
Total Program Length:  103”
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sunday/the-sunday-magazine-for-november-13-2022-1.6649009

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, will resume in December's CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, ham radio outlet.