[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 454

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

I personally curate this now resuming series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“The Mid-Terms 1 - Groomers”
THE COMING STORM - BBC Radio 4
As America goes out to vote for the first time since the tumultuous aftermath of the 2020 election, Gabriel Gatehouse is back in the deep undergrowth of the US political scene, in a bid to understand where the dark energy underpinning the January 6 assault on the Capitol is going now. Some of the energy from the QAnon conspiracy theory about a satanic cabal of paedophiles is morphing into a grassroots political movement against ‘groomers’ – the idea that LGBTQI+ sex educators and trans healthcare advocates are indoctrinating young people into a sexualised culture. The battleground is America’s school boards and the prize could be a galvanised Republican base with a new crusade. At a conference in Miami of thinkers shaping the future ideas of the right, Gabriel finds the issue top of the agenda. And across the country, a slate of candidates linked to QAnon is running for office – how will they fare?  (43”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001dxt0

“The Republican Party and its Embrace of Far-right Extremism”
REAR VISION - ABC RN (Radio National)
The US midterm elections are happening this week and many people say that the outcome could determine the future of democracy in America. We look at one side of this electoral race—the Republican Party—and its historical links with the extreme right.
Guests:
David Corn the Washington Bureau Chief of Mother Jones Magazine and author of American Psychosis: A Historical Investigation of How the Republican Party Went Crazy.
Nancy MacLean Professor of History and Public Policy at Duke University and author of Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America.
Darren Malloy Professor of History at Wilfrid Laurier University. Author of Enemies of the State: The Radical Right in America from FDR to Trump and The World of the John Birch Society: Conspiracy, Conservatism and the Cold War. (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/us-far-right-extremism/14095238

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, will resume in December's CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, ham radio outlet.