[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 453

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this now resuming series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Breaking News”
OUR ARCHIVE CENTURY - BBC Radio 4
The first in a series marking one hundred years of the BBC through the riches to be found in the corporation's broadcast archive. In each programme two leading figures in their field select material that illustrates the unique value of this written, audio and audio-visual record of Britain over the past century.
Today, veteran broadcaster and news presenter James Naughtie and editor and journalist Helen Lewis demonstrate what the archive can tell us about the gathering and delivering of breaking news, from the careful patrician announcements of the 20s and 30s to the fizzing pace and punchy headlines of instant digital delivery.
Their choices include the foibles of an age of deference and the mixed merits of news delivered at speed as opposed to news of momentous events distilled and delivered in tranquillity. It's the story of the way Britain has received its news as a narrow field of broadcasters expanded to the plethora of outlets and the rise of social media that defines our online age.
There's space for humour and human stories, and an attempt to make sense of the impact sound and moving images have had on the way we understand our recent history.  (57”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001dmls

“The Texas Tank: A Prison Radio Station Changing Livesl”
CROSSING CONTINENTS - BBC Radio 4
The Allan B. Polunsky Unit in Livingston, Texas, used to be known as the Terror Dome for its high rates of inmate violence, murder and suicide. Polunsky houses all the men condemned to death in Texas (currently 185) and nearly 3,000 maximum security prisoners. But since the pandemic, a prison radio station almost entirely run by the men themselves has helped to create community--even for those on death row, who spend 23 hours a day locked alone in their cells.
The Tank beams all kinds of programmes across the prison complex: conversations both gruff and tender; music from R&B to metal; the soundtracks of old movies; inspirational messages from all faiths and none. The station’s steady signal has saved some men from suicide and many from loneliness; it lets family members and inmates dedicate songs to each other and make special shows for those on their way to execution. Maria Margaronis tunes in to The Tank and meets some of the men who say it's changed their lives—even when those lives have just weeks left to run. Produced by David Goren. (28”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001bs04

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, will resume in December's CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, ham radio outlet.