[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 237

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning in what sometimes seems like a vain attempt to diminish the results of sitting behind a desk for 35 years.  The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along” while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.  So it is with the time spent commuting to work day after day.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Here’s another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more of less):

——

"Author Says New Zealand Massacre Points To A Global Resurgence Of ‘Extremism; Robert Forster Gets Playful — And Intense — On ‘Inferno'’"
FRESH AIR - NPR
On March 15, a 28-year-old Australian man opened fire in two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 50 people and injuring dozens more. The shooter had previously declared allegiance to "white identity" — a fact that came as no surprise to J.M. Berger, an author who studies extremist movements. "We're seeing a resurgence in various countries," he says of white nationalism. "It's a worldwide phenomenon.”  Berger, who studies the online activity of extremists, notes that the New Zealand shooter praised President Trump as "as a symbol of renewed white identity" in a 74-page document he published before the massacre. That mention, Berger says, aligns with a trend he found when he studied the hashtags and language used by alt-right Twitter users. "When we do the social media analysis, it comes shouting out at you," he says. "We can count the links that they put out on Twitter and other social media platforms, and what we find is the most common is '#MAGA.' The most common description of somebody that they use in the profile, they use on Twitter, is 'Trump supporter.’"  Berger is the author of the book “Extremism" and co-author of "Isis: The State of Terror”.  Also, The former co-leader of the Aussie band The Go-Betweens reflects on success and failure on his latest solo album. Critic Ken Tucker says Inferno is proof of Forster's credentials as a pop musician.  (49”)
https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2019/03/25/706467524?showDate=2019-03-25

“No Longer a Place Apart”
FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT - BBC Radio 4
The bullets that shattered the image that New Zealand is a place apart. Dominic O'Connell returns to his childhood home in Christchurch to find a city bewildered and in mourning. We hear also from Aaron Akinyemi in Tanzania, where the imminent construction of a hydroelectric dam is threatening one of Africa's largest game reserves, but almost no-one dares to speak out; Amanda Coakley visits families in Bosnia, where a number of young men have died in mysterious circumstances and the authorities stand accused of sweeping the problem under the carpet ; Ben Weisz is in Dieppe, just across the English Channel, where they're preparing for the possibility of a No Deal Brexit; and Joe Shute is in the far west of Canada, where carving totem poles is one way of marking the historic suffering of the indigenous population at the hands of white settlers. (29”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003cm2

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
192 page 8th edition available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com] and Amazon [amazon.com]