[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 233

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every morning in what sometimes seems like a vain attempt to diminish the results of sitting behind a desk for 35 years.  The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.  So it is with the time spent commuting to work day after day.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more of less):

ââ

âFibre has huge benefits, and we're not getting enough of it; Cannabis and depression in young people; Statins safe, effective for older people; Prostate cancer, robots and radiationâ
THE HEALTH REPORT - ABC RN
Getting a good amount of fibre reduces your risk of bowel cancer, diabetes, heart attacks and strokes.  While its use remains illegal here, Canada is one country where cannabis is legal and widely available.  A new analysis suggests it's beneficial regardless of when you begin taking the drug.  Many men mistakenly believe that having their prostate out via robot surgery is better than radiotherapy, when it comes to treating prostate cancer. (32â)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/  (Scroll to 11 March 2019)

âSatanic cult scandal that rocked a small Saskatchewan town in '92 continues to haunt the falsely accusedâ
OUT IN THE OPEN - CBC Radio One
John Popowich received an official government apology and a $1.3 million settlement for malicious prosecution in the '92 Satanic child sex abuse case. Yet, the former police officer says, the heinous false accusations originally made against him will be 'associated with me until I go to my grave.â (24â)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/outintheopen/satanic-cult-scandal-that-rocked-a-small-saskatchewan-town-in-92-continues-to-haunt-the-falsely-accused-1.5074956

"Jens Stoltenberg, Secretary General of Natoâ
HARDtalk - BBC World Service
HARDtalkâs Stephen Sackur speaks to NATOâs Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg. The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation is 70 years old this year, but despite its achievements and longevity, celebrations are muted. Thatâs because NATO's cohesion and long-term viability are being questioned as never before. Is the Secretary General simply papering over the organisationâs widening cracks? (23â)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswj9z

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guideâ
192 page 8th edition available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com] and Amazon [amazon.com]