[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 231

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every morning in what sometimes seems like a vain attempt to diminish the results of sitting behind a desk for 35 years.  The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.  So it is with the time spent commuting to work day after day.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more of less):

ââ

âWhat Twins Can Tell Us About Who We Areâ
HIDDEN BRAIN - NPR
In December 1988, two sets of identical twins in Bogotà became test subjects in a study for which they had never volunteered. It was an experiment that could never be performed in a lab, and had never before been documented. And it became a testament to the eternal tug between nature and nurture in shaping who we are.  Psychologist Nancy Segal tells the story of the Bogotà twins, which was a tragedy, a soap opera, and a science experiment, all rolled into one. And she explains why twin studies aren't just for twins. They can serve as a paradigm to understand age-old questions that affect us all: Is our fate written in our genes? And how powerful is upbringing in shaping who we become?  (31â)
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/21/705487258/what-twins-can-tell-us-about-who-we-are

âAutism and the MMR Vaccineâ
THE HISTORY HOUR - BBC World Service
How a British doctor misled the world by linking the MMR vaccine to autism; the early rise of Hungaryâs Viktor Orban also what it was like to contest the Soviet Unionâs first multi-party elections plus the exposure in the 1970s of a Nazi criminal in Holland and uncovering Mexicoâs Aztec past. (55â)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswqn0

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guideâ
192 page 8th edition available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com] and Amazon [amazon.com]