[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 214

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every morning.  The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.  So it is with the time spent commuting to work day after day.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more of less):

ââ

âCreativity and Your Brainâ
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC RN
We humans have âcreative softwareâ in our brainsâso says neuroscientist and author David Eagleman. We're driven to invent and innovate, yet at the same time weâre attracted to the familiarâand our creativity lives in that tension. We explore the processes of creativity, and how it can be nurtured to flourish. (30â)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/creativity-and-your-brain/10571938

âCarrots, sticks ... and other ways to motivate"
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC RN
What does it take to drag yourself off the couch and get motivated on a fitness regime? The last thing you want is for someone else to hassle you into going to the gymâitâs just not going to happen. In all areas of life, to be well motivated we need to feel autonomous and find our own internal rewards. We hear from a renowned motivational psychologist and a personal trainer about what works.  (30â)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/carrots,-sticks-...-and-other-ways-to-motivate/10571878

âZombies"
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
We are asking why so many people are fascinated by Zombies. For many people the Zombie is a walking corpse thatâs out to bite you, and turn you into a similarly mindless, flesh craving undead person. Whatâs not to like? And we seem to be going through a bit of a Zombie boom with TV series like The Walking Dead capturing the imagination of audiences worldwide. But Zombies have been around for more than a hundred years. They first came to the attention of the American public through a book called The Magic Island, about Haiti written by William Seabrook in 1929. And we will be exploring why many say thereâs more to Zombies than a reliable source of Hollywood horror. Perhaps they tell us something about significant, deep divisions at large in society. We will be tracing their history through the centuries and continents â from Africa through to Central America, the US and Europe.  (24â)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswrl3

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guideâ
192 page 8th edition available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com] and Amazon [amazon.com]