[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 190

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more of less):

ââ

âWhite Privilege - Racial Ambiguityâ
THINKING ALLOWED - BBC Radio 4
Racial ambiguity in America: Lisa Kingstone, Senior Teaching Fellow in Race and Identity at Kings College, London, asks what happens to a country that was built on race when the boundaries of black and white have started to fade. Sheâs joined by the writer, Bidisha. Also, what is meant by white privilege? Kalwant Bhopal, Professorial Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham, discusses her new study.  (27â)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000ykk

âShoes - A Cultural Historyâ
THINKING ALLOWED - BBC Radio 4
 Shoes: Laurie Taylor explores their cultural history and sociological meanings. He's joined by Elizabeth Semmelhack, Senior Curator of the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto, Tim Edwards, Honorary Fellow in Sociology at the University of Leicester and Naomi Braithwaite, Senior Lecturer in the School of Art & Design at Nottingham Trent University. (28â)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00010yy

************************
CAPSULE REVIEW
THINKING ALLOWED - BBC Radio 4
This program perhaps can best be perceived through a prism of âquirkyâ intellectualism.  The topics on many occasions (âShoes", for instance, above) may seem to be facially unimportant or easily overlooked, but once delved into with serious inquiry it becomes apparent that everything in our world has some heft to it.  That which we take for granted today wasnât always so.  Laurie Taylor serves as our friendly guide, asking the questions we would ask, making for an interesting and informative journey into things we probably never would have given second thought to, but are glad in the end that it was brought up.  Whether the topic is of obvious or hidden import, the program is accessible across the board and always adds to improved knowledge of the world in which we live. The programâs web page description says, âNew research on how society worksâ.  Indeed.  Highly recommended listening.
[Streamed and broadcast at 1600UT Wed., repeated Mon. 0015UT and available by podcast.]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qy05

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guideâ
192 page 8th edition available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com] and Amazon [amazon.com]