[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 175

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings, offered in a 90 minute scope (more of less):

ââ

âPositive psychologyâwith Martin Seligmanâ
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC RN
During the 1960s the field of psychology focussed on the science of how past trauma creates present symptoms, and how to reduce peopleâs misery. Professor Martin Seligman wanted to change that focus. Heâs become known as the Father of Positive Psychology, and heâs had a profound influence worldwide. In Part 1 of our 2 programs with Martin Seligman, hear him address an exclusive audience in Australia on happiness and human flourishing.  (29â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/martin-seligman-1/9886008

âOptimism and hopeâwith Martin Seligmanâ
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC RN
Are you an optimist or a pessimist? If you look on the bright side of things you may be protected from depression. And being very pessimistic could be roughly equivalent to smoking more than 2 packs of cigarettes a day. These are just some of findings from the field of positive psychology. Martin Seligman is known as The Father of Positive Psychology and in part 2 of our programs on this topic, hear more of his talk to an Australian audience about how to promote human flourishing, and positive education. (29â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/optimism-and-hopeâwith-martin-seligman/9910458

"Remembering Liz Jacksonâ
BACKGROUND BRIEFING - ABC RN
This month, Australian journalism lost one of its greats.  Liz Jackson, who won multiple Walkley awards, is perhaps best known for her work at Four Corners, but she cut her teeth in investigative journalism here at Background Briefing.  In 1992, Liz travelled to Somalia to document the violence severely hampering aid efforts and costing hundreds of lives daily.  In this podcast special, youâll hear what made Liz always so great at her job: her fearless questioning, her beautifully precise storytelling, and her overwhelming interest in - and care for - other people. (47â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/liz-jackson-tribute/9940352

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guideâ
192 page 8th edition now available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com] and Amazon [amazon.com]