[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 51

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âHave We Lost the Right to Grow Old?â
THE DRAWING ROOM - ABC Radio National
It's something that we all face yet the business of trying to avoid old age is booming.  In her new book "A Long Time Coming: Essays on Old Age", Melanie Joosten says we regard old age as some kind of failure.  She joins Patricia Karvelas in The Drawing Room along with broadcaster Angela Catterns.  She's grappled with the dilemma of caring for her 94 year old mother, and now voluntarily visits nursing homes with her dog Sailor. (16â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drawingroom/have-we-lost-the-right-to-grow-old/7569948

âLonelinessâ
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
What is loneliness and why do we feel it? Why do some people feel lonely when surrounded by people and others never feel lonely at all. Mike Williams finds out why feeling lonely can help us to survive. (18â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xvgc9

âAttractionâ
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
Why are we attracted to some people and to not others? Mike Williams explores the factors that lie behind our feelings of attraction. He speaks to the authors Christy and Clare Campbell. Christy fell in love at first sight, but it took Clare six months to feel that strong sense of attraction. After 40 years of marriage they are still attracted to each other. Beauty, facial symmetry, personality and values all play a role in our attraction to others. Evolution biologist Dr Anna Machin from Oxford University explains the science behind attraction. Dr Machin explains how chemicals released in our brains gives us the confidence to approach someone who we are attracted to and how the smell and taste of a prospective partner can tell us a lot of their genes and whether they will be a compatible mate. (18â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03yl1zz

"Political Consultant and Pollster Frank Luntz"
HARDtalk - BBC World Service
Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton? It is still a month until the US Republican and Democrat parties formally nominate their presidential candidates, but this is all but certain to be the choice for Americans in November. Sarah Montague speaks to political consultant and pollster Frank Luntz, who has spent his career listening to how Americans think and feel about politics and politicians. He thinks that voters are angrier than ever before, and that the fracturing of the right and left in American politics means that any outcome is possible.  (23â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03yl1nf

ââ

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com