Re: [Swprograms] Swprograms Digest, Vol 110, Issue 7

Re: [Swprograms] Swprograms Digest, Vol 110, Issue 7

The BBC has stated that, with shortwave, their unduplicated English
language audience would be larger than it is.  However at this point
the issue is funding - while back in 2001 that was less of an issue,
the UK's fiscal policy of austerity hit the BBC both domestically and
internationally.  In their opinion the expenses saved by reducing
shortwave usage resulted in less audience loss than expenses saved
elsewhere in either program creation or in distribution /
transmission.

Meanwhile I saw a NY Times story that mentions that the Western
European policies of austerity adopted in their financial crisis are
now being rethought.  Will international broadcasting services be
allowed to spend more as a result?  Time will tell, I guess...

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA