[Swprograms] Sirius/XM Dropping WRN (ch. 120) on 4/25

[Swprograms] Sirius/XM Dropping WRN (ch. 120) on 4/25

Glenn Hauser reports that Sirius/XM satellite radio is dropping the World Radio Network from its line-up on April 25.  WRN currently occupies channel 120.  There's no word on what Sirius/XM plans to replace this channel with, if anything; but I know I don't need another spotlight artist music channel.  WRN is a unique service relaying a range of international broadcasters.  While it is available via smartphone and the internet, having it via satellite to the car and to Eton E1-XM receivers does serve as a partial replacement for direct shortwave reception.  It also serves to diversify Sirius/XM's offerings and set it apart from conventional terrestrial AM/FM radio.

As both an investor and subscriber, I have registered my strong objection to this decision with Sirius/XM.  Their response has been to point out to me (cluelessly) that if I want international news, I can listen to BBC World Service on channel 118 with (sic) "Europe Today", "The World Today" and "World Business Report".  (These programs have been discontinued by the BBC.)

If you are a subscriber and disagree with this decision, my suggestion is that you register your objection with Sirius/XM and suggest to them that they are no longer serving your listening tastes by doing so.

As for me, I am seriously reconsidering continuing with my subscriptions.

John Figliozzi