Re: [Swprograms] FW: NXP Intros Receiver to Decode DRM, DAB, HD Radio & German Students Prototype DRM+, DAB+, VHF FM Receiver

Re: [Swprograms] FW: NXP Intros Receiver to Decode DRM, DAB, HD Radio & German Students Prototype DRM+, DAB+, VHF FM Receiver

I'll be foolish enough to take the bait..

And a second question, will there any DRM-capable transmitters left
that can reliably reach North America?  With the impending closure of
the Montsinéry site, that leaves only the USA's private SW
broadcasters and perhaps a half-dozen European sites  as capable of
reliably reaching Eastern North America in "armchair" quality -- which
is what DRM would likely require for a casual receiver -- during most
primetime listening hours.

The European sites I can think of would include Noblejas, Spain;
Woofferton, UK; Grigoriopol, Moldova; Cerrik, Albania;  Galbeni and
Tiganesti, Romania; also, Wertachtal and Nauen, Germany.

As to what's "worth listening to", that's a subjective
question...certainly a lot less than even a couple years before.

Caution...topic drift follows...

The interesting trend of the past couple years, to me anyway, has been
the widespread acceptance of the "TuneIn" station directory and
listening platform, especially on smartphones and tablet computers.
TuneIn is available on the Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, and
iPhone platforms for smartphones, most Tablet platforms (iPad, Kindle,
Nook, Android), "smart" TV devices (e.g. Roku), and of course PCs.  I
know my own kids have discovered radio from other countries this way.

And while that doesn't do one bit of good for someone who doesn't have
any of these devices and only has radios, the word "widespread" above
is critical for a broadcaster eager to get a message listened to here
in the USA.

Another interesting wrinkle is the "AudioNow" concept of offering
radio feeds via telephone.  That's not a new concept, but my own
cellphone contract recently changed to cap my cell network data
consumption yet allow unlimited phone minutes...

Yeah, I wandered off the DRM topic by quite a bit, but -- if I'm
willing to change how I look at the world of broadcasting -- there is
still hope out there.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA