[Swprograms] RNW The State We`re In to Finish

[Swprograms] RNW The State We`re In to Finish

** NETHERLANDS. RNW: The State We’re In to finish

We have some bad news: The State We're In is being terminated. As many of you may know, Radio Netherlands Worldwide was hit with a drastic 70 percent cutback last year by the Dutch government. We were assured at that time by Radio Netherlands' outgoing management that the show was still going to be an integral part of Radio Netherlands, but those assurances didn't hold.

Subsequent changes in the organization's mandate towards a tighter focus on nations in the developing world, and a much slower-than-expected transition to new management have made it impossible for us to continue.

The State We're In exits with its head held high: it was the most broadcasted, downloaded and decorated program in the long history of Radio Netherlands Worldwide, and won praise from radio industry leaders from around the world.

It was heard in top public radio markets the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland and in select markets in India and Africa. Our overall audience reach was 12 million people. We will miss you and all the engaged, thoughtful responses you had to what we put on the air. It was a privilege bringing these stories - which sometimes included stories you told us - to light.

FYI: Our last original program will be produced at the end of October. There will be some repeat shows after that.

Greg Kelly, Editor TSWI (Source : RNW via
http://sw-radio.blogspot.com/2012/10/rnw-state-were-in-to-finish.html via Horacio Nigro, Uruguay, October 5, dxldyg via DXLD)

Original site, with comments:
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/state-we%E2%80%99re-finish
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS. MASS-DELETION OF RNW CONTENT

Hadn't it been promised on the farewell programme of RNW English that
they will go away but what they produced will stay (put more elegantly
than this, can't recall the wording)? That promise lasted only four
weeks. Looking up the records of a CMS link checker, I just noticed
that apparently a sweeping deletion took place on 27 July, eliminating
most or even all of the archived content. And a quick look at the
remaining website still shows the old template but with many redirects
to the frontpage with the little they still have to offer. Could
someone please put this pet out of its misery?

And what will become as of 28 Oct of the legacy broadcasts in Spanish
and, if indeed still on air, Dutch that at present still go out via
the doomed Bonaire transmitters? Looking up the preliminary HFCC data
suggests that they will disappear altogether (Kai Ludwig, Germany, Oct
3, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Jonathan Marks recently remarked about salvaging some historical audio
files before it`s too late (gh, DXLD)

I haven't checked the past few days, but I believe the 0930 Dutch
transmission for Suriname ended last week, leaving the hour of Spanish
at 1100 as the only remaining RNW broadcast on SW. I suspect this
transmission will not be around in B-12 (Steve Luce, Houston, Texas,
Oct 3, DX LISTENING DIGEST)