[Swprograms] St. Helena (South Atlantic) News.

[Swprograms] St. Helena (South Atlantic) News.

St. Helena (South Atlantic)

The Saint Helena Broadcasting Company (SHBC) has previously announced its intent to open several FM stations on the island.  At that time Radio St. Helena (RSH) on MW 1548 KHz will go silent.  The transition is beginning as RSH is now carrying several local newscasts per day with content provided by SHBC.  The newscasts are also available on the internet as noted in an advertisement in the September 6 edition of their weekly newspaper "The Sentinel", "Listen to our SHBC St Helena news bulletins on Radio St Helena 1548khz 194m in the MW band Daily at 5pm, 8pm, 9.45pm and 7.15am. Week in review - weekends 8pm.  In addition you can catch up with our radio news at anytime of the day via our
website. Just click the WEBCAST button on any page www.shbc.sh."  All times in the ad are local.

In other news in that same edition it looks like digital TV is drawing closer to being implemented by Cable and Wireless (C&W).  The digital set top boxes have been received on the island and are undergoing integration testing with the conditional access systems that will control box activation and deactivation of customers.  A new satellite has been launched which will eventually provide program content for the channels C&W will provide its customers.  That satellite was not yet in its assigned position at the time of publication.

Those curious about the progress of the new airport ("They paved paradise and put up a parking lot", one of my 1960's favorites) which will eventually bring a boom to the local economy (and probably doom paradise forever) can follow the activity by checking the SHBC weekly newspaper at  http://www.shbc.sh/L2_sentinel_about.html

Joe Buch, Florida USA