[Swprograms] Lord Patten vows to protect BBC World Service

[Swprograms] Lord Patten vows to protect BBC World Service

Lord Patten has been interviewed by the Telegraph.

The full interview is not online as far as I can see. A detailed summary is,
both from the Telegraph and BBC News, which includes some quotes not in the
Telegraphs version.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8570026/Lord-Patten-vows-to-save-the-World-Service-from-cuts.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13741210

The Telegraph has a poll asking its readers how important funding the BBC World
Service is to them.

This to me highlights the problem in bringing WS funding into the licence fee.

Domestic services will be cut and individual households will be paying for
services in foreign languages through a compulsory tax. Many will not agree with
the priority being given to this. The BBC World Service in English has a
domestic audience so the argument doesn't apply as strongly there.

Mike