[Swprograms] BBC WS: World Radio Club 1978 recordings online

[Swprograms] BBC WS: World Radio Club 1978 recordings online

On an offshore radio focused newsletter BBC producer Tony Street asked if anyone
had recordings of World Radio Club as there were none in the BBC World Service
archives. I knew I had three on cassette and have found two of them. These have
now been recorded as mp3's and uploaded to my 4Shared account for downloading or
streaming.

One is when I was a studio guest, it was broadcast on Wednesday 22 February 1978
at 0815 1330 and 2315 and on Friday 24 February 1978 at 2100. I talk about the
forthcoming World Administrative Radio Conference which included on its agenda a
proposal to expand the shortwave broadcasting bands. Mike Ashdown of Racal then
talks about a satellite communications unit that fits into a land rover.

The second is from earlier the same month, or late January, and featured well
known UK DXer Gordon Darling talking about medium wave DX'ing. The interview was
recorded at a Reading meeting on 21 January which World Radio Club presenter
Peter Barsby attended. The other feature was on digital tape recording.

The recording I have been unable to find featured UK DX'er Gordon Pilling
talking about his recent visit to Southern Africa, also interviewed at the
Reading meeting.

Each edition had a propagation report from Henry Hatch, DX news by telephone
from Noel Green and from BBC Monitoring and David Ansell, these were read in the
studio. With the BBC World Service reducing its shortwave transmissions it's
fascinating to look back and hear how shortwave propagation and frequency usage
was so important for them at that time.

Tony is hoping to put together a programme about the way the World Service has
changed relative to new technology, and whether shortwave international radio
still has a use in the world, for broadcast sometime next year.

The programmes can be streamed or downloaded at:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/TvUipvat/BBC_World_Radio_Club.html

Mike