From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:37 PM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] World News Blog - Sigh of relief at the Department for International Development - cry of anguish at the Foreign Office.

One dynamic mentioned in The Guardian was how the everyday Brit would react to having some of the license fee go to an Urdu or Arabic service.

I'd posit that we might--once again--hear more domestic fare (e.g. from Radio 4) on the WS in English.

But, in the main, I think this is good at first blush (and certainly much better than it might have been).  If you remember back to some of our other discussions, one of the laments with VOA and to a lesser extent RCI is that these stations had no domestic constituency to fight for them during the budget wars et al.  WS definitely has this going for it at least.  I agree with Rich--there is pride on the street in the UK over the WS.  And that's not a bad place to start.

BTW, the switch doesn't kick in until 2014.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY