Re: [Swprograms] World News Blog - Sigh of relief at the Department for International Development - cry of anguish at the Foreign Office.

Re: [Swprograms] World News Blog - Sigh of relief at the Department for International Development - cry of anguish at the Foreign Office.

The World Service and domestic operations were in the process of
consolidating their physical locations; already much of what the World
Service "spends" is simply to reimburse the domestic operation for
programming and services.

So, one expense that should be avoidable is the cost to maintain the
intra-BBC accounting.

Those of us interested in preserving the World Service should monitor
the activities of the BBC Trust, as that now becomes the entity
responsible for WS oversight.

In the "Newshour" segment I mentioned, Sir John Tusa stated his
opinion that the World Service has built up substantial goodwill
amongst Brits and he believed that goodwill would help keep an
organizational focus on the World Service.

I would think that "Over to You" and "World Have Your Say" would be
interesting programs to monitor over the next few weeks as this
continues to play out.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA