Re: [Swprograms] [ODXA] VOA Launches new English programs

Re: [Swprograms] [ODXA] VOA Launches new English programs

I sampled parts of the new "Middle East Monitor" and "International
Edition" yesterday at roughly 1720 via the live VOA web stream.

Middle East Monitor airs at 1700 and 1900 UTC, according to on-air
promotions; it appears to be a 30-minute program.  At first glance
it's a good (though dry) series of dispatches on events in the region.

Similarly, "International Edition" spends 30 minutes on roughly six
stories, taken from around the globe, including the USA (Gulf of
Mexico oil spill).  Serviceable enough, but short on analysis.

I'll update more as I do some more listening.

These programs do not appear on the VOA website...I sent an e-mail to
the VOA to point this out and have also joined their Facebook presence
and left that critique there.  We'll see if the Facebook post
generates a response, as that's a public forum; the VOA does monitor
and comment on posts .

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA