From: Fred Waterer <programming_matters@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Subject: [ODXA] Radio gets a radical revamp
To: odxa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Radio gets a radical revamp

The dawn of radio ushered in the beginnings of mass media
entertainment, which has now become fundamentally woven into the
fabric of modern-day society.

In more recent times radio has been eclipsed by video games,
multi-channel television, home cinema systems and the internet.

Against such competition, radio is facing questions as to whether it
can survive as a mainstream entertainment form.

Industry experts say that radio can embrace technology and sustain its
popularity. Growing sales of digital sets worldwide certainly lend
strength to that theory.

However, the idea of listening to a device which only plays radio may
well be something that is on the wane.

Nick Piggott, head of creative technology at UK-based Global Radio,
told BBC World Service's Digital Planet programme that he expected big
changes.

FROM BBC WORLD SERVICE
It is important that the radio is every bit as engaging and
interesting as the experience of listening to a pre-recorded music
file
James Cridland BBC Audio & Music Interactive

He said: "10 years ago if you asked people how are they going to
listen to your show, they'd say on the radio and they could point to
something that was in the kitchen or living room that had batteries in
it and was plugged into the mains electricity and that was their
radio."

"I think in 10 years time almost nobody will say that they own a
radio, as in just one device and that's all it does. I suspect even
now you'll probably find that there are more and more people who are
saying that they listen to the radio on something that is not a radio
at all."

Mr Piggott said Nokia was the biggest manufacturer of radios, because
of the vast number of mobile phone handsets it produced with radios
built in.

Looking to the future, Mr Piggott suggested that creating some kind of
visual content to work alongside radio programming was a potential
future development.

New avenues

He said: "I think the most interesting thing is when you've got radio
together on a device that has got a connection to the internet and I
think some of the things that we'll see coming out of that is the idea
of enhancing radio with visuals which is absolutely not about turning
radio into television.

"It is about understanding that people have got the opportunity to
glance at a screen whilst they are doing other things and just to put
useful information on to that screen and entertaining information on
there."

Interactivity is another avenue which radio technology may venture down.

He said: "Some sort of simple way of allowing people to register the
interest in something they hear on the radio and then when they have
got bit more time later in their day, come back and follow on and find
out a bit more about it."

Meanwhile, at the BBC the issue of radio is hugely important
considering the amount of content generated by the corporation for the
medium.

James Cridland, who oversees future media at BBC Radio, has guided the
placing of radio shows on the BBC's iPlayer, the on-demand service
which holds large amounts of BBC audio and visual content.

Describing how iPlayer benefits on-demand radio, he said: "The sound
is better and it is easier to find your favourite shows."

Looking to the future, Mr Cridland agreed with the importance of
interactivity, with the utilisation of mobile phone screens a key
priority.

He said: "We do not want to damage what radio is great at...something
you can listen to while you do other things. It would be mad if we
damaged that."

Developers are looking at the kind of information offered by mobile
phones when users play MP3 files as a potential model for radio
development. Specifically, they are looking at the kind of information
users can get, such as album covers and song lyrics.

Mr Cridland said: "It is important that the radio is every bit as
engaging and interesting as the experience of listening to a
pre-recorded music file."

Trials have also been conducted where users can vote on whether they
like songs on the radio or increasing the amount of texts which are
featured on a radio phone-in.

via Fred Waterer

To those of you who seek lost objects of history, I wish you the best
of luck. They're out there, and they're whispering. - Clive Cussler

http://www.doghousecharlie.com

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   mailto:odxa-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   mailto:odxa-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--
Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

International broadcasting / shortwave blog:
http://www.intlradio.blogspot.com