Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio down under

Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio down under

It will be interesting to watch this mature in Australia.  The stated
plan is to shut down analog MW / FM in "...the next decade or so..."

How well with rural Australians be served by digital radio?

How about people without the financial resources to afford new radios?
 How will their needs be met?

I guess I find Australia (and Canada) interesting cases because their
population densities are so much smaller than in Western Europe, where
DAB has a stronger toehold, and the USA, where we have this voluntary
IBOC system which nobody seems to like.

Population densities, from Wikipedia, in population per square km:

Belgium 341 (relatively early DAB adopter)
United Kingdom 246
Denmark 126 (relatively early DAB adopter)
USA 31
Canada 3
Australia 2.84

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA