From: rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:00 AM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: [Swprograms] Happy 10th anniversary to the swprograms list

Yes, I know it's April 1st, which makes everyone suspicious (with good reason).

Ten years ago today, the swprograms list was begun on the Topica list server. The list was hatched out of a discussion at the Winter SWL Fest regarding a need for a vehicle to share information on programming topics relating to international broadcasting that would be more specialized than the typical limitation to frequencies and air times in most SWL e-mail based lists in existence at the time.

Many thanks to all who have contributed over the years...you've certainly helped inform me about the world of international broadcasting as it has evolved over those years.

Think about it...back in 1998 we still had the BBC available targeting North America for most of the day; DW had North America-targeted broadcasts in the evening; RCI filled our evenings with "The World At Six" and "As It Happens".

Hopefully we'll continue to have things to talk about here, though I suspect, for many of us, listening to this programming via shortwave happens less frequently than it did back then.

Thanks also for everyone's patience and understanding in helping this remain a civilized discussion without the flame wars that plague many Internet forums and e-groups.

Richard Cuff
Allentown, PA USA