Re: [Swprograms] Holiday specials on public radio: Paul Winter

Re: [Swprograms] Holiday specials on public radio: Paul Winter

I am listening to the first available airing of Paul Winter's Annual Winter Solstice Celebration, special from the Cathedral of St. John the [Allegedly] Divine, on WUOT webcast at 0100-0300 UT Dec 11. It`s still nice but not like it used to be, a must-hear each pre-Xmas, such that before webcasting, I would even drive halfway to Tulsa to be able to hear it on KWGS, or when I could get it at home, listen to it in the dark with no distraxions.

Last year it became quite obvious from the early scheduling that it couldn`t possibly be live, or even be that year`s concert. They refer to it as annual, but they never say WHICH year --- now running on the air is the ``28th annual concert``, but if you go to the church website, you find that the 29th annual concert occurs Dec 18-19-20, 2008, with four performances. So what we hear on NPR is something that has taken a year of post-production; and/or holdup for the next winter solstice. Figuring out the year from the guest artist lineup isn`t easy either, as Renato Braz is on both #28 and #29.

They are also building in more breaks than just the intermission, completely ruining the mood, as WUOT did by playing a Click-n-Clack promo less than half an hour into it! If I were in NY the week before Xmas, this would still be a must-hear in person --- or maybe not with tix ranging from $35 to $75 which I suppose is moderate for NYC: http://www.stjohndivine.org/WinterSolstice08.html O well, maybe once in a lifetime (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)