Subject: Critical Distance Weblog: Singgih Kartono's Wooden Retro Radios

Sunday, August 17, 2008

[8]Singgih Kartono's Wooden Retro Radios

   It takes 16 hours to make a wooden radio by hand. That, at least, is
   the story from South-East Asia. I remember reading about the ultimate
   minimalist wooden radio designed by Indonesian artist Singgih Kartono
   sometime last year. I was reminded by a follow-up article in British
   Airways' Business Magazine this week.
   The story wasn't so much about the technology inside (which was simply
   a good but basic analogue AM/FM circuit in the first model), but the
   fact that the radio uses sustainably harvested pine wood and
   palisander/sonokeling. ....

	another [ 500 lines ]